• Register Today It's free!

4R55E help please

n_spect_r

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ranger
I have a 96 ranger with 4.0 and 4R55E, 150,000 on truck, unknown about the trans. When I bought it there were some trans issues and I expected to put in a full rebuild. Reading this forum, and having purchased a used core trans to rebuild lead me to believe it may have been a VB problem. Here were the symptoms; When first purchased it would not engage OD, all gears shifted HARD, like might break something hard. Since OD did not work I suspected a band broke, crawled under and tried making adjustments, to my surprise after turning the bolt several times I felt resistance, adjusted the band and I got OD.
Along with that some new symptoms. When the OD band was lose, pressing the OD Off button on the gear shift did nothing, now when the button is on the truck just sort of jerks and lunges in place. Does the same thing if placed in manual first gear. I bought the Transgo kit and tore it down Sunday, to my surprise someone else had been in there and installed a Transgo, with the heavy towing spring added. I took that out, also did the mod for reverse, made one hole smaller and added the gold retainer. Back together and what a difference in shifting, I feel them but not bone jarring any longer. I still however have the same issue with the OD off switch.
As I do not use low and so far have had no reason to turn OD off the problem is not pressing but something is obviously wrong. Wondering if a previous owner had a chip modded or something.

Back