• Register Today It's free!

4R55E vs. A4LD

Big Red

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4WD
Hey guys, just a quick question. Can you take a 4R55E out of a 96 Ex. and put it into a 1991 in place of a A4LD? I am pretty sure you can't but I just wanted to make vere sure. If you can't, is there any way to modify either the tranny or engine to make it fit? My 1991 A4LD has been dead for a while now and someone gave me a 1996 Ex. in working condition (shakes uncontrolably at 45mph) as a gift but I think I am going to have to get rid of both if they aren't compatible.

Thanks,
Big Red

My understanding is that the 4R55E (aka A4LDE) and the A4LD are essentially interchangeable mechanically. The problem is that the 4R55E is entirely electronically controlled where the A4LD computer only controls 3-4 shift and TCC lockup.

If you can work out the electronics, I think it's a very doable swap.

It's a lot of work to put the '96 computer into the '91, because you have to essentially convert the '91 to a '96 engine management system.

There's a stand alone controller available ($$$) for the 5R55E, and I don't know if it would control the 4R55E or not.

One word... Frantentranny. Put the 4R guts into the A4LD. Check out the thread in the stickies section. It is the only practical way you will get a 4R in place of an A4LD

Back