• Register Today It's free!

4r55e with slipping 3rd gear

Gatornga

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger
95 ranger,2wd, 4.0l , 4r55e.. bought this truck it had 312,000 miles, motor had rod bearing knocking but ran good and tran had the 2-3 flair ... swapped motors and built the tranny. everything is good but 3rd slips for abit and for some unknown reason every once and awhile it tries to take off in 3rd or feels like it anyway. I have changed the valve bodies also and still have the same problem. Complete gone though frictions seals...Kinda getting the best of me... my 1st 4r55e have built several other older trannies before.. oh yea I do have engine braking in Manual 1.. have been checking all the threads this place is great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the common 2-3 flare, which is usually a valve body issue. Taking off in third can be caused by over torquing the valve body bolts. Did you use a torque wrench?

yea to specs... could servo cause any of this? mine looked ok but I just guessing at anything now

The servo that falls out when you remove the valve body is the Low--Reverse servo. The 4R55E releases the intermediate band and applies the High clutch for 3rd gear.

hmm.. well I bought this truick for next to nothing and just playing around deer camp truck but it drives so good I'm gonna keep searching to I get it right.

Back