• Register Today It's free!

4R70W Parts & Procedures

samickguy15

Reaction score
City, State
Delavan, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
I've searched, read stickies, checked other sites, etc. and am still not sure what my plan should be.

There's a variety of shift kit options :
Baumann (sp?)
Trans-Go
B&M
Fairbanks Trans Action (ford-aode.com)

I've heard good things about the Trans-Go and Baumann, but nothing on the others. On ford-aode.com they use the Fairbanks kits in their high performance trannys.

In addition to that, there's a variety of parts in rebuild and mod categories. And a variety of manufacturers.

Accumulator pistons
Springs
Valves
Clutches
Servo
Solenoid

Sonax
Alto
Superior

In addition, there's the infamous "J-Mod" I've heard folks that swear by it and nothing else. They say it's the only way to go and the shift kits are a waste.

The predicament I am in is that I am not positive if my truck is at 120K or 220K. I'm suspecting odometer fraud, but I'm not positive. Regardless...The truck runs/drives great. The 1-2 shift is sloppy, like they're known for, but other than that it seems to perform good.

So, if you were going to tear open a higher mileage 4R70W and wanted to fix known problems, correct the sloppy shifts, and provide improved performance for street/strip/towing. What would you perform/put in?

I hate to spend money on a full on rebuild or buy a variety of parts just to waste my money.

Oh come on, somebody has to have some knowledgable advice...

Back