Solved - 4WD, AWD, and Transfer Case Information and Operation | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 4WD, AWD, and Transfer Case Information and Operation

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
hello i have a 1996 4x4 when i put it in 4wheeldrive the transfer case causes the truck to go into low range but the frount wheels want turn changed bearings iner and outer on bothsides but still no action thought the hubs were bad but there not

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The popping and jerking while turning was of great concern........ With 4x4 engagement, a popping and binding sensation should be considered normal when turning. During a turn, the front and rear axles follow a different arc. The compensate the tires must slip. The symptoms are referred to as a crow-hop or grabbing sensation..........

So the jerk I felt the other day backing out of my driveway is normal? Because I had the same problem in my 'Stang and it turns out the spider gears were stripped.

Also I checked the bulb but the light for my 4Lo never comes on. Any answers?

need pictures of a trasnfer case. I just put a rebuilt transmision in a 96 ford explorer and there is a sound coming out of the trasnfer case. I don't know why is doing that.

I've tried lifting all 4 wheels clear of the ground and spinning them. Then trying to shift back into 2wd, but it is still in 4wd and in low range. Any other suggestions.
-Kev. :(
I hate suggesting this but the only way I managed to get out of that problem when I was stuck in Low a couple weeks back was to put the truck in Park, turn the switch to Auto and rev up to 5,000rpm for a brief couple seconds then return to idle and shift to Drive, this resulted in a massive bang and jerk forward (Im assuming this was the gears unloading), but it made me uncomfortable enough not to do it again.

I have a 98 Explorer with the automatic four wheel drive. I was wondering if anyone ever tried to make it so that you could disengage the automatic four wheel drive to be just 2wd. I think this would save alot in gas and also be a alot more fun. Can I find the power going to the shift selector on the transfer case and wire in a switch so it would never shift or would this mess with the computer?

I hate suggesting this but the only way I managed to get out of that problem when I was stuck in Low a couple weeks back was to put the truck in Park, turn the switch to Auto and rev up to 5,000rpm for a brief couple seconds then return to idle and shift to Drive, this resulted in a massive bang and jerk forward (Im assuming this was the gears unloading), but it made me uncomfortable enough not to do it again.
(Let me show ya somethin!)

5000 rpm! Massive bang! Ya think? I agree. Don't do that again. :nono: Unless you have unlimited money to throw away.

I have just bought a '97 explorer xlt control trac auto 4wd. the 4x4 hi and 4x4 lo lights flashs on and off sometimes. and while im turning on dry pavement not in 4x4 it tries to engage and jumps and makes a loud noise and is starting to when i take off...any ideas? or its normal

4x4 High binding/creaking

Hi, new to this site, but have a 2002 AWD V6. I was wondering how loud the 'normal' binding/popping is if you engage 4x4 high and attempt to turn on a non-slick surface. I have had 4x4's my whole life and yes, they'll let you know they are in 4x4 if you are on a dry surface, but this explorer really doesn't want its wheels turned in 4x4 high. I'd describe it as a creaking noise with associated binding and popping noises. It makes no noise at all in a straight line. Is is the transfer case or the front axle making the noise? Should I try changing the fluids to see if it gets better or should I not worry about it? On snow, you can turn fine in 4x4 high with no noise. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, new to this site, but have a 2002 AWD V6. I was wondering how loud the 'normal' binding/popping is if you engage 4x4 high and attempt to turn on a non-slick surface. I have had 4x4's my whole life and yes, they'll let you know they are in 4x4 if you are on a dry surface, but this explorer really doesn't want its wheels turned in 4x4 high. I'd describe it as a creaking noise with associated binding and popping noises. It makes no noise at all in a straight line. Is is the transfer case or the front axle making the noise? Should I try changing the fluids to see if it gets better or should I not worry about it? On snow, you can turn fine in 4x4 high with no noise. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I am certainly not an expert 4X4 person but mine does the same thing on dry pavement when I'm in 4X4 for a very short time, only when I turn the wheels all the way to the left or to the right. This I understand is normal because my owners manual stresses not to drive in 4X4 on dry pavement for any extended period. Actually my 4X4 works perfect and has gotten me out of trouble from some very slick NC mud when I was alone in the woods. Sounds like yours is working fine and is just doing what it's supposed to do. I never drive out on the highway in 4X4 when it's dry. This will eventually put too much stress on your components and you will have big problems. I know that there are people that drive around in the winter in 4X4 all the time. This is not good and goes against what the manual says and the people who wrote the manual know more than we do. Hope this helped. :usa:

has anyone ever discussed pulling off the electric shift alltogether and putting in some type of cable or mechanical shift lever? I have looked mine over and a good heavy cable could do a nice job for much less the cost of the electric unit Thoughts?

hey guys I have an 02 that does all the same things you are all going through. and yes mine does not make the noise on dirt, snow, or grass. only tarmack. but I was told that it is normal. and that when you first take off the awd kicks in for a few seconds for better traction. and when you turn left on dry tarmack it sometimes goes in and out of awd because it is trying to get traction while starting out. or so I am assuming.

cmto8!
Because of the trouble I had with mine guess the research and the trouble made me a bit of an expert on this issue. You are correct in all of your statements the real WEAKNESS of the awd explorer is its habbit of kicking in 4wd when it is not necessary. like on turns and taking off the sensor that notes spin in the rear wheels is very, very, VERY sensitive to wheel spin and it throws power to the front end almost immediately. One trick an engineer at ford showed me is to turn the key switch far enough to shut down the electrical systems in the rig but not kill the engine or engage the starter. this reboots the computer and disengages the 4wd I use this often and have doubled the life of my tires!!!!!:thumbsup:

2002 4WD noise

hey guys I have an 02 that does all the same things you are all going through. and yes mine does not make the noise on dirt, snow, or grass. only tarmack. but I was told that it is normal. and that when you first take off the awd kicks in for a few seconds for better traction. and when you turn left on dry tarmack it sometimes goes in and out of awd because it is trying to get traction while starting out. or so I am assuming.

Thanks for the post - my '02 still works perfectly in AWD, but when you hit that 4WD button and if you are on anything but snow or ice, it still pops, creaks and groans. I heard it might be worthwhile to change the transfer case fluid as the 'friction modifier' properties of it might not be where they need to be - kinda of like a rear diff fluid and how sensitive that can be with the wrong fluid.

I have a 1997 Explorer XLT, part time electric shift. While driving down the highway at 55mph, I heard a grinding noise followed by complete disengagement of powertrain (i.e. not even park would engage). I was able to engage 4W LOW in order to pull off the road. The shift motor is OK. The problem is in the transfer case (Borg-Warner). Has anyone experienced a similar malfunction, and if so, could you pass some tips my way? Many thanks.

Update on my Problem

'97 explorer xlt control trac auto 4wd. the 4x4 hi and 4x4 lo lights flashs on and off sometimes. and while im turning on dry pavement not in 4x4 it tries to engage and jumps and makes a loud noise and is starting to when i take off...any ideas? or its normal?

We had it placed on machine and they changed the senors and it hasnt done it since.
12-07-2007 07:27 AM

'97 explorer xlt control trac auto 4wd. the 4x4 hi and 4x4 lo lights flashs on and off sometimes. and while im turning on dry pavement not in 4x4 it tries to engage and jumps and makes a loud noise and is starting to when i take off...any ideas? or its normal?

We had it placed on machine and they changed the senors and it hasnt done it since.
12-07-2007 07:27 AM
Mine does the same thing with the lights flashing six times after I engage the 4WD (BW-4405 TC). I would like to check the Hall sensors on the TC. There are two one for the front shaft and one for the rear. I saw somewhere that they can be checked with an OHM meter. Does anyone know how to do a test on these Hall sensors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back