nufan

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xls
how to deal with this mechanic

OK, this is starting to get to me now.
I have an 02 xls and for some reason the 4wd is just acting a fool.
1. 4w high light used to blink, repaced switches unbder dash. Fixed for about a week.
2. Would go into 4w low upon starting and 4w high light blinking. Took it back to the shop. they replaced the motor that engages the 4wd and the wiring harness.
3. Then no 4wd at all. Took it back again. They said a pin had gotted bent when connecting the wiring harness. Work for about two days.
4. Now, 4w high light blinks and no 4 wd at all.

What the hell are they doing?! I think the only thing left top replace is the computer now? Which means more money from me and a possible fix at this point.

Any advice?

I thought I would take it to another shop, but since this guys work is "guaranteed" I don't have to keep paying for the diagnostic test.
Plus I have given him about $530 to date for this and he should get it right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The GEM may need to be reflashed. That is Dealer only unfortunately.

I am having the same problem with my 2002 XLT. Most of the time no 4wd lights come on and the trac control (or awd) does not work. Had it to Ford three times and an independent shop three times. Transfer case motor was replace by Ford. Has been re-programmed twice. Driving me nuts! Any suggestions? Has 40,000 miles on it.

Weel the shop said that they did notice some carbon on the computer. They seem to think that the motor was getting a constant current do to bad switches or something.
Once i get the computer replaced i think there is nothing left to replace! so it should be fixed.

Jercom, you sure the auto 4x4 is not working? Will it shift into 4Low? You need to be in neutral with foot on the brake to engage 4Low.

4wd low

No,
4wd low does not work either. I have put it in neutral and held the brake many times and it wont work. Strange... if I shut the engine off, turn the ignition back on without starting it, both low and high 4wd lights come on. But when I start it and put it in gear, the lights go out and... no 4wd :(

isn't it under warranty

Back