• Register Today It's free!

4WD Problem

ronking

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I've got a '95 4WD Explorer, and typically don't use the 4WD all that often.
Every now and then I try to exercise the 4WD hardware, but the last time I
noticed a peculiar problem.

When put into 4WD low, the truck engages the 4WD and works okay. However, if I turn the wheels sharply the truck comes to almost a complete stop; it feels like the front wheels are locked and the back is pushing the front end. Again, this only happens when the wheels are sharply turned either to the left or to the right. This problem doesn't occur in 2WD, and there's no appearance of tire rubbing anywhere.

At first I suspected the CV joints but then I would have expected the problem to occur in both 2WD and 4WD. I thought it might be something in the front differential or transfer case, but the truck works fine in 4WD as long it's going straight.

Any ideas before I get it checked out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't turn at full lock in 4WD. What your truck is doing is completely normal.

Hey, u said that it just about comes to a complete stop and it jerks(dunno if u said that but it happens to me) but ya. The reason for this is because the front two wheels of the explorer do not have a differential therefor they can't rotate at different speeds on a turn and continue to go the same speed explaining the hesitation and jerking. The reason they do not have a differential is so that when you are off roading on a dirt path or mountain or place with loose gravel you have the same amount of traction in your two from wheels to pull you. If you have it on a dirt road, it'd be fine because it can easily skip over the loose gravel but on the road, it's hard because it's actually paved and not loose, it can't just kick it out from under the wheel. So ya, I know exactly what you are talking about. and I hope i got ya before you took it into a shop to get looked at.
Later

Many thanks to the replies.

I feel like a dope, but at least an informed dope!!!!

That's what this site exists, so we can help you out before you pay the dealer a crazy amount of money for no reason. I had a similar incident and realized the site saved me hundreds of dollars, so I decided the $30 cost to be an Elite Explorer (money goes to maintain site) was a great value.

rudiegonewild said:
Hey, u said that it just about comes to a complete stop and it jerks(dunno if u said that but it happens to me) but ya. The reason for this is because the front two wheels of the explorer do not have a differential therefor they can't rotate at different speeds on a turn and continue to go the same speed explaining the hesitation and jerking. The reason they do not have a differential is so that when you are off roading on a dirt path or mountain or place with loose gravel you have the same amount of traction in your two from wheels to pull you. If you have it on a dirt road, it'd be fine because it can easily skip over the loose gravel but on the road, it's hard because it's actually paved and not loose, it can't just kick it out from under the wheel. So ya, I know exactly what you are talking about. and I hope i got ya before you took it into a shop to get looked at.
Later

Incorrect.... the front end has a differential. It is connected full-time on all '97-current Explorers.

The behavior the original poster experienced was because the front wheels must travel farther then the rear wheels when cornering. This is true of any vehicle. However, when you lock the front and rear driveshafts, the fronts want to only turn as far as the rears. Therefore, you get what's known as driveline bind-up. Bind-up is bad. The loads placed on the drivetrain components (i.e. driveshafts, axle shafts, and halfshafts) are tremendous, and will result in breakage if it happens a lot.

The reason it doesn't happen in 2wd is obvious. However, when you click it into 4wd, on the 95-96 Explorers, the transfer case (which locks the front and rear driveshafts together) does not engage until the rear wheels slip, so essentially you're in 2wd until 4wd is needed. (This is how the control-trac automatic system works) The system should not engage when cornering in a parking lot.

In '97, they changed the settings (after extensive transfer case testing). The 97-up models have 4 auto, 4 high, and 4 low, where you've got 2wd, 4auto, and 4 low, and no you cannot simply change something to get it to work the other way.

Wow, sorry about being long-winded..... the short version is that your system is working properly. Don't use 4 low on dry pavement or other high-traction surfaces. Only use low range in mud, snow, sand, loose gravel, or other low-traction surfaces.

-Joe

Back