• Register Today It's free!

4WD question

glenn_a

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a Ford Explorer 1997 XLT V6 SOHC...

Just a question about 4WDving..

When ever I go into sand dunes and fully going for it and stop after 30mins of fun then my front diff seems to shudder and it looks like the rear wheel LSD was strugling and the front diff seems not working...

If i cool it down for 20mins its started working fine but it does shudders the front diff....

But if i cool it down longer like 30mins or more then it gets better....

Im not sure if the transfercase issue or transmission or something else....?

Please help!;(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the clutch setup in the t- case I would go to a manual shift case, also check your fluid lvl in the carrier's make sure there full and that the oil isn't burnt.

Could be the clutch setup in the t- case I would go to a manual shift case, also check your fluid lvl in the carrier's make sure there full and that the oil isn't burnt.

Oh! I did not know that there's a clutch in the T-case, I thought its just a gears with selector to engage....
I may check that out and would you be able to send me a link for the manual conversion if got it handy...
is it a expensive conversion?

Thanks mate!

Just find a t case from a ranger or b2 or so on and swap it out it's simple only posable problem I can think of is the front drive just grab it to. Your t case uses a magnetic clutch I know in my v6 ex mine quit working.

Just find a t case from a ranger or b2 or so on and swap it out it's simple only posable problem I can think of is the front drive just grab it to. Your t case uses a magnetic clutch I know in my v6 ex mine quit working.

which year my friend..?

Back