4wd to 2wd 1996 explorer v6 control trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd to 2wd 1996 explorer v6 control trac

Potatonet

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
Control trac is broken, diff is going on me. 314,000 miles on original motor.

need to swap to rwd only, leaving the front diff there or will remove it for gas mileage.

need to know what I need for the swap.

I gather I will need spindles, bearings, brakes (rotor only?) anyone know what car?

will 2wd 96-01 explorers have a spindle that will work with the 4wd suspension system?

Any info would be great as this is necessary, and getting louder by the mile.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'd be better off swapping in a new differential. Considering you'd need a 2wd tranny to do the swap. Or are you set on going 2wd?

Hartman did the conversion a few years back. His threads would be good to sift through. But you'd need the tranny, rear drive shaft, and spindles out.

I'm sure u know what ure talking about but why do
I need a tranny? It's control trac, I just leave the axles off and never switch to
4wd mode... How does that not work? If the axle is magically moving in 2wd mode then I'm confused as to why it allows you to select 2wd.

Not awd, it's control trac again. So wouldn't spindles on the front just work to keep the car rolling? It's not for some crazy upgraded car.

I would just pull the front driveshaft and halfshafts. Disassemble the front halfshafts and reinstall the outer stubs (unless you want the wheels to fall off). Then dont worry about the front diff anymore because its just along for the ride.

Actually, I would just swap in my spare front diff. But not everyone has a spare sitting around.

Are you sure just the ends of the axles would work? I had considered this before but wanted to go with spindles because it's actually a part made to do that, I don't mind doing the work to rip em apart i just have a feeling the bearing will come out or something.

Back