4wd to 2wd conversion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd to 2wd conversion

Good morning, I do not know how to jump in here but this might be a good place to start. I have a 05 Explorer 4WD Automatic that has 160,000 miles and the complete drivetrain was worn out, everything. And if I need a 4wd where I drive then really do not need to be there. (Im 63). I have replaced the engine with a remanufactured. I removed the transmission and rebuilt it myself. The transfer case (TC) is on the bench and I am fixing a leak in the front output shaft. I have replaced all the bearings and seals in the TC. (Needs a Speedi Sleeve SKF 99162, auto parts stores have the wrong part number) I have replace the front and rear bushings, shocks, front upper and lower ball joints, torsion bar bushings and links, rear upper control arms, rear lower control arm ball joints and both rear hubs (as a complete kit). I have had this truck up in the air and ran it to determine how bad the rear differential was and replace it with a remanufactured one. My list goes on.

I am going to change my AWD to a 2WD. This is what I know from looking and learning and reading posts on here.

I have seen time and time again the suggestion that you cannot leave the front wheel bearings in without the CV shaft and let me say that I know you can. I have been to my local pick a part and seen with my own eyes the XLS models with the same front hubs but without anything in the wheel bearing to "hold" the bearing together. The statement of needing something to hold the bearing together is not true! Look closely at the wheel bearing. That inner part is a single piece of metal that runs through the pair of bearings and is subjected to the CV axles' constant bouncing around and abuse. So to remove both CV axles wont hurt a thing in fact lessen the wear and tear on the front bearings in each hub.

Now I have removed both front CV axles and the front differential which is worn out. I have removed the front driveshaft. I want to change out the 5r55s 4WD transmission with a 5r55s 2WD. The only difference is that the 2 WD has the extension housing and longer output shaft. The speed sensor is in the transmission. I know this as I have started and ran the 05 Explorer while is was up in the air on blocks and the 5r55s transmission attached to the 4.0 with no transfer case. There was problems running it and was able to simulate 90 MPH and miles added to the odometer. The ABS system has a fit as none of the ABS sensors in all 4 wheels were disconnected. You can test this for yourself.

From my personal experience with that Borg Warner transfer case: Then input shaft is connected to the output shaft to the rear wheels by a slip gear that depending on being in 4HI or 4 Low is either engaged in the high or engaged through the planetary gears to reduce shaft speed. Either way the truck cannot roll away. The 5r55s transmission has the locking mechanism in the rear that engages to keep it from rolling. Now the AWD is activated by the by the ABS system. The moment the ABS senses wheel slip, the AWD system engages the magnetic system to lock up the slip clutches in the transfer case sending power or torque to the front driveshaft and wheels. There is no sensor in the top of rear differential. The only ABS sensors for Advance trac are in the 4 wheel hubs and that module located under the center consul between the two front seats.

Sorry for the length of this.

So now when I get that shaft repair sleeve onto that front output shaft and the TC back together, I will disconnect that wire to the case and test drive my Explorer. If the Advance trac is happy. Then all I have to do is pull the 4wd fuses and will have my conversion from AWD to 2wd all tested and will proceed to the next step.

I am writing this as I have not found any credible information about converting from 4wd to 2wd and what to do.

After this test. I will sell my rebuilt 5r55s and transfer case and order the 5r55s as a re-manufactured transmission and replace it with the driveshaft. Then Ill have a 2wd with traction control that from my studies operates as good if not better than limited slip differentials. Which as I have learned that the latter will only last 20K miles or so the talk of needed a limited slip differential is not needed.

About the only thing I can think of is to have the engine management computer reflashed if it needs to be.

Now what do you think?
I think you’re confusing your info. You CANNOT run a Second Gen without the CV Shafts. This is an absolute fact.

limited slip differentials last a lot more than 20k. I’ve got one with 160k and one with 220k. Both will spin the rear wheels on gravel, dirt or snow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you’re confusing your info. You CANNOT run a Second Gen without the CV Shafts. This is an absolute fact.

limited slip differentials last a lot more than 20k. I’ve got one with 160k and one with 220k. Both will spin the rear wheels on gravel, dirt or snow.

Easy there. If you read my post and followups you will realize that I am talking about a Gen 3. OK?

Easy there. If you read my post and followups you will realize that I am talking about a Gen 3. OK?
Yes. Which is why I qualified it with second gens needling it, and you possibly confusing your info. LOTS of talk about 4wd-2wd

You are aware you jumped in on a thread about swapping 2wd into a 1st gen, right?

As for your computer, (your 4wd computer will throw a fit) your best bet would be to just get one out of a 2wd model of the exact year.

Yes. Which is why I qualified it with second gens needling it, and you possibly confusing your info. LOTS of talk about 4wd-2wd

You are aware you jumped in on a thread about swapping 2wd into a 1st gen, right?

As for your computer, (your 4wd computer will throw a fit) your best bet would be to just get one out of a 2wd model of the exact year.

Right you are but I began in the 3rd gen modified and ended up on this link. Yes lots of talk but nothing of real substance. I will test that idea of the computer having a fit and pull the fuses to the 4wd module. And I have searched over and over for information and nothing and again is how I got to this string of comments.

If there’s no transfer case, I’m sure you will have blinking 4wd lights at the minimum. If it’s polling a bunch of stuff that isn’t there, I’m sure it’s not going to be happy.

Right you are about the Gen two hub needing that CV axle to keep the two wheel bearings together in the hub. I visited our local junk yard and check it out. But I am working with a Gen 3.

Right you are about the Gen two hub needing that CV axle to keep the two wheel bearings together in the hub. I visited our local junk yard and check it out. But I am working with a Gen 3.
I understand what you’re working on. I’m saying the information about them needing the CVs is related to the second gens which MANY have converted.

There is FAR more information about modding the Second Gens, unfortunately.

I understand what you’re working on. I’m saying the information about them needing the CVs is related to the second gens which MANY have converted.

There is FAR more information about modding the Second Gens, unfortunately.
I am fortunate in that this Explorer is not my daily driver and can remove things and play around with it. I have kept my parts like the front differential and CV axles, etc etc. So to turn direction back to 4WD is no biggie. I like wrenching and as a old HVAC tech I enjoy figuring out things. And yes there is a plethera of info on Gen 2s.

Thanks for your advice and Ill keep going and adding info to this posting. Peace.

I am fortunate in that this Explorer is not my daily driver and can remove things and play around with it. I have kept my parts like the front differential and CV axles, etc etc. So to turn direction back to 4WD is no biggie. I like wrenching and as a old HVAC tech I enjoy figuring out things. And yes there is a plethera of info on Gen 2s.

Thanks for your advice and Ill keep going and adding info to this posting. Peace.
Hi. I'd like to know how things are coming along with this.

New here and very frustrated. Hopefully you or someone might be able to walk me through my situation. I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer with a 4.6 L V8 Premier all-wheel drive. The front drive system was removed from this truck and I am now faced with a transmission issue. Before going into too much detail my questions include:
1) it appears that the transmission is the same no matter if AWD or RWD. That said can a swap from a AWD or RWD work? 2) without the front drive system the transfer case but no longer be required sew-in Siri could the rear drive shaft be replaced with a rear wheel drive shaft? 3) what about the computer - any issues once the modifications are made?

Hi. I'd like to know how things are coming along with this.

New here and very frustrated. Hopefully you or someone might be able to walk me through my situation. I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer with a 4.6 L V8 Premier all-wheel drive. The front drive system was removed from this truck and I am now faced with a transmission issue. Before going into too much detail my questions include:
1) it appears that the transmission is the same no matter if AWD or RWD. That said can a swap from a AWD or RWD work? 2) without the front drive system the transfer case but no longer be required sew-in Siri could the rear drive shaft be replaced with a rear wheel drive shaft? 3) what about the computer - any issues once the modifications are made?
ALright. I just removed the Forscan software from the Explorer. Now I have removed the front axles, differential and driveshaft. Scanned with Forscan and driven it. NO LIGHTS and no problems. But I still have the transfer case that I have rebuilt. I plan to drive it now for a while to see how I like things. I believe that by reprogramming the modules, I think I can remove the 4x4 (As Built codes) from the PCM. I think this would take a change in the vin number programming. I will study this more and get a vin code from an 05 explorer at the pick a part or learn about the Vin code of this Explorer and reprogram. But will not do a thing until later. The 4x4 module is built into the PCM and just learned that yesterday. SO lets see what happens. Hope this helps you.

ALright. I just removed the Forscan software from the Explorer. Now I have removed the front axles, differential and driveshaft. Scanned with Forscan and driven it. NO LIGHTS and no problems. But I still have the transfer case that I have rebuilt. I plan to drive it now for a while to see how I like things. I believe that by reprogramming the modules, I think I can remove the 4x4 (As Built codes) from the PCM. I think this would take a change in the vin number programming. I will study this more and get a vin code from an 05 explorer at the pick a part or learn about the Vin code of this Explorer and reprogram. But will not do a thing until later. The 4x4 module is built into the PCM and just learned that yesterday. SO lets see what happens. Hope this helps you.

The AWD/4wd 5r55s has a different end, opposite from the engine so as to accomodate the transfer case. The 2wd has an "extension" housing and a different driveshaft. The AWD/4wd 5r55s is not interchangeable with the 2wd 5r55s transmission. Don't fall for that. Now about the PCM, I am doing research now to learn if the 2wd Vin number will modify the PCM to be or enable it to be 2wd and drop the 4x4 module from the "as built" coding in the PCM. From youtube videos like fordmakuloco. where he reprograms a junk yard PCM to replace a Explorer PCM it seem logical and possible. I need to know if forscan can get me into the as built codes to do that.

The AWD/4wd 5r55s has a different end, opposite from the engine so as to accomodate the transfer case. The 2wd has an "extension" housing and a different driveshaft. The AWD/4wd 5r55s is not interchangeable with the 2wd 5r55s transmission. Don't fall for that. Now about the PCM, I am doing research now to learn if the 2wd Vin number will modify the PCM to be or enable it to be 2wd and drop the 4x4 module from the "as built" coding in the PCM. From youtube videos like fordmakuloco. where he reprograms a junk yard PCM to replace a Explorer PCM it seem logical and possible. I need to know if forscan can get me into the as built codes to do that.

And now I am considering keeping my rebuilt transfer case installed and not installing the front driveshaft, differential and cv axles. and driving it for a while. I might stop my 4wd conversion to 2wd at this point. But continue to learn about redoing the "as built" codes and further test my initial idea.

any updates on this? I'm interested in AWD 5r55s to 2WD conversion.

I’m pretty positive a 4wd 5r55 will bolt up to a 2wd factory equipped vehicle. There is no difference in the 4.0 block for 2wd and 4wd.

Its not much of a 2wd conversion of all you did was not install a front driveshaft.

An update: my Explorer is a 2005 XLT. It has the 5r55s transmission. I used the Forscan to read and clear codes and none have come back. I have not really put many miles on it yet as my transmission rebuilding skills are coming back to haunt me. Plan to order a remanufactured 5r55s (retaining 4wd) as mine has an internal small diameter vibration and most likely something I did not see and catch when I took mine apart to replace a lot of stuff. My problem begins when the truck gets up to 62 MPH and the vibration grows in intensity up to 75+ and I stopped pushing it. Not its not a large diameter tire vibration, and, the rest of the drivetrain as that was rebuilt.

I noticed a few questions about fittment.

Regarding the Gen 3, my 2005 is a gen 3. The 2wd and 4wd transmission housings are different with the 2wd having a longer output housing and different driveshaft. The 4wd has a shorter transmission housing, very short adapter plate to replace the extension housing. and the transfer case is bolted right up to the transmission. So again the 2wd and 4wd transmissions are very much different. And whether its a 2wd or 4wd, transmissions from 02 to 2010 are interchangeable (Gen 3 and Gen 4).

And with the Forscan scanner software the computer data can be updated.

I’m pretty positive a 4wd 5r55 will bolt up to a 2wd factory equipped vehicle. There is no difference in the 4.0 block for 2wd and 4wd.

Its not much of a 2wd conversion of all you did was not install a front driveshaft.
I also removed the front differential and both front half axles. And no computer issues. I can turn off and on the advance trac.

I understand the transmissions are obviously different between 2wd and 4wd. This isn’t specific to your 3rd Gen.

My point is you can easily put a 2wd 5r55s in place of a 4wd 5r55s. You’d be better off not having that transfer case involved.

I understand the transmissions are obviously different between 2wd and 4wd. This isn’t specific to your 3rd Gen.

My point is you can easily put a 2wd 5r55s in place of a 4wd 5r55s. You’d be better off not having that transfer case involved.
I agree with you there.

This comment string started with my wanting to learn about conversions from 4wd to 2wd. There is not a lot out there about this. So from my test Explorer, I want to stimulate the PCM programing and remove those front drive parts essential to 4wd. I am of the opinion that the transfer case does not directly work with the PCM, but surely does with the 4wd module and do not think it goes beyond that.

Been testing the Explorer without the front driveshaft, differential and both CV axles. Nothing put into the hub bore and no problems. I did keep the transfer case in. Other than a bearing that is worn out on a remanufactured rear differential NO PROBLEMS!! Now chasing the replacement. Got under the truck and was able to push up on the spindle of the CV axle and make is wiggle up and down in the worn out bearing. So after resolution, I will be at the end of the test and report. Peace.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back