• Register Today It's free!

4wd to 2wd conversion

Hangmans8

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport 2dr
Today i started my swap. I have read what people think they know about the conversion. but no one i found knows anything. I found a 2wd frame and i'm in the middle of stripping it. if anyone has done it i would like some input.
my truck is a 94 2dr sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently you havent talked to anyone on here.
And you have not tried our search. You wouldn't believe the amount of info on this forum, if you just take the time to look.
As a matter of fact the conversion to a 2WD is covered pretty well (as far as parts needed) in this
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272116

Apparently you havent read my post 94 explorer.
most if not all are about 95+

It's the same thing, just a different animal. You basically need the 2wd front ttb and hubs, and the 2wd driveshaft and tail housing. Other than that, there's not much to it.

if it was that simple i would be done the truck.
if you install the 2wd i-beams the camber is way out.
the beam mounts are to tall.
and to change the axle pivots brackets you have to change the engine cross member, the 4wd cross member is notched for the front diff (right where the 2wd bracket would mount)
i think i might of bitten off more than i wanted.

I stripped my 2wd ranger frame.
I had to buy a right hand spring pocket from ford, it that a rust hole the size of a soft ball.
monday i remove the engine and start the conversion. the list of new parts is very long.
Poly bushings
new 2" lowering coils from canuck motorsports
poly axle pivots
brakes
ball joints
bearings
camber adjuster sleeves
shocks
steering box
tie rods
once the front is lowered and set i can start on the back of the truck.
the rear is getting panhard bar and air bags
i hope the conversion goes good

stripped the 4wd out today.
monday the point of no return, cutting the crossmenber out.

WHAT????

NO NO NO NO NO

You just change the frame mounts....They BOLT ON. And it is only 1 side that changes...I believe it is the Passenger Side mount for the Drivers Side Beam that changes...

The Explorer frame IS NOT THE SAME AS THE RANGERS....

While it is close, it is NOT THE SAME. Just get the parts from a 2WD Explorer. It is a WHOLE LOT EASIER, and IMPOSSIBLE to screw up.

Ryan

A 2wd explorers are hard to find in canada. i've seen one in about 5 years. And i worked in a ford auto wrecker.

They are plentiful here in Washington....and you're not too far away...

Seriously, you are going about this all wrong. The track width on the Ranger is narrower than the Explorer...

Ryan

I know of 3 sitting in wrecking yards RIGHT NOW...I just saw them on Saturday.

Ryan

Things that i should have found out the sunday!
trak width is the same, when its in the explorer.
it has the same width as the rear.
the truck is done, the ranger cross member worked.
once the engine is done it can go in.

So ryan the axle pivot backets would have been all i needed:eek:

Yes....The Axle Pivot mount on the Drivers Side, which hold the Passenger Side Beam...that is is one of the only parts needed to do the swap....

Ryan

my explorer converts between four wheel drive and two wheel drive at the push of a button. i dont see what the big fuss is all about..

why would you want to neuter you're truck, anyway?

But my 2WD gets better mileage, and I have more power to the ground with a dedicated 2WD....besides....that's reason enough to own 2 Explorers.....doesn't everyone have at least 2 Explorers...

Ryan

can someone tell me what parts i need to do this conversion......
98 exploder 4wd to 2wd

Hi,

Little late in asking. But, did it turn out ok and how much did it cost.

WHAT????

NO NO NO NO NO

You just change the frame mounts....They BOLT ON. And it is only 1 side that changes...I believe it is the Passenger Side mount for the Drivers Side Beam that changes...

The Explorer frame IS NOT THE SAME AS THE RANGERS....

While it is close, it is NOT THE SAME. Just get the parts from a 2WD Explorer. It is a WHOLE LOT EASIER, and IMPOSSIBLE to screw up.

Ryan

Yes....The Axle Pivot mount on the Drivers Side, which hold the Passenger Side Beam...that is is one of the only parts needed to do the swap....

Ryan

Ok I know this is a very old thread but can someone tell me which side is different ?
I keep finding mixed answers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today i started my swap. I have read what people think they know about the conversion. but no one i found knows anything. I found a 2wd frame and i'm in the middle of stripping it. if anyone has done it i would like some input.
my truck is a 94 2dr sport.

Good morning, I do not know how to jump in here but this might be a good place to start. I have a 05 Explorer 4WD Automatic that has 160,000 miles and the complete drivetrain was worn out, everything. And if I need a 4wd where I drive then really do not need to be there. (Im 63). I have replaced the engine with a remanufactured. I removed the transmission and rebuilt it myself. The transfer case (TC) is on the bench and I am fixing a leak in the front output shaft. I have replaced all the bearings and seals in the TC. (Needs a Speedi Sleeve SKF 99162, auto parts stores have the wrong part number) I have replace the front and rear bushings, shocks, front upper and lower ball joints, torsion bar bushings and links, rear upper control arms, rear lower control arm ball joints and both rear hubs (as a complete kit). I have had this truck up in the air and ran it to determine how bad the rear differential was and replace it with a remanufactured one. My list goes on.

I am going to change my AWD to a 2WD. This is what I know from looking and learning and reading posts on here.

I have seen time and time again the suggestion that you cannot leave the front wheel bearings in without the CV shaft and let me say that I know you can. I have been to my local pick a part and seen with my own eyes the XLS models with the same front hubs but without anything in the wheel bearing to "hold" the bearing together. The statement of needing something to hold the bearing together is not true! Look closely at the wheel bearing. That inner part is a single piece of metal that runs through the pair of bearings and is subjected to the CV axles' constant bouncing around and abuse. So to remove both CV axles wont hurt a thing in fact lessen the wear and tear on the front bearings in each hub.

Now I have removed both front CV axles and the front differential which is worn out. I have removed the front driveshaft. I want to change out the 5r55s 4WD transmission with a 5r55s 2WD. The only difference is that the 2 WD has the extension housing and longer output shaft. The speed sensor is in the transmission. I know this as I have started and ran the 05 Explorer while is was up in the air on blocks and the 5r55s transmission attached to the 4.0 with no transfer case. There was problems running it and was able to simulate 90 MPH and miles added to the odometer. The ABS system has a fit as none of the ABS sensors in all 4 wheels were disconnected. You can test this for yourself.

From my personal experience with that Borg Warner transfer case: Then input shaft is connected to the output shaft to the rear wheels by a slip gear that depending on being in 4HI or 4 Low is either engaged in the high or engaged through the planetary gears to reduce shaft speed. Either way the truck cannot roll away. The 5r55s transmission has the locking mechanism in the rear that engages to keep it from rolling. Now the AWD is activated by the by the ABS system. The moment the ABS senses wheel slip, the AWD system engages the magnetic system to lock up the slip clutches in the transfer case sending power or torque to the front driveshaft and wheels. There is no sensor in the top of rear differential. The only ABS sensors for Advance trac are in the 4 wheel hubs and that module located under the center consul between the two front seats.

Sorry for the length of this.

So now when I get that shaft repair sleeve onto that front output shaft and the TC back together, I will disconnect that wire to the case and test drive my Explorer. If the Advance trac is happy. Then all I have to do is pull the 4wd fuses and will have my conversion from AWD to 2wd all tested and will proceed to the next step.

I am writing this as I have not found any credible information about converting from 4wd to 2wd and what to do.

After this test. I will sell my rebuilt 5r55s and transfer case and order the 5r55s as a re-manufactured transmission and replace it with the driveshaft. Then Ill have a 2wd with traction control that from my studies operates as good if not better than limited slip differentials. Which as I have learned that the latter will only last 20K miles or so the talk of needed a limited slip differential is not needed.

About the only thing I can think of is to have the engine management computer reflashed if it needs to be.

Now what do you think?

Back