4WD works but dash lights are screwy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD works but dash lights are screwy

jklett

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsborough, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I have a 1993 XLT and the low range light(next to the button) is always lit but at about half brightness. The switches and the motor are working(it goes in and out of 4 high and 4 low) and when it's in 4 low the light is at full brightness like it should be. Does anyone have any hints as to where I should start looking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 4low does that occasionally, but then i reset the 4x4 module, and its fine now,

go in the back, where the jack is, pop that panel off, and in front of (towards front of the truck) theres a box, and you should see a little circular button, i think mine was white, start the truck, and hold that button a few seconds, then press it again, and that resets the 4x4 module.

Mine does that exact same thing from time to time. I never thought much of it since, like you, the 4WD always works as it should. I just had that panel open this morning to disconnect my factory alarm. I saw the module for the keyless entry and the amp for the original JBL audio system in there as well, but didn't notice the 4WD module. I'll have to take a closer look there tomorrow.

my old one did it in cold weather,but never did anything about it,most of the time if i shut the truck off and restarted it,it was off

Mine does that exact same thing from time to time. I never thought much of it since, like you, the 4WD always works as it should. I just had that panel open this morning to disconnect my factory alarm. I saw the module for the keyless entry and the amp for the original JBL audio system in there as well, but didn't notice the 4WD module. I'll have to take a closer look there tomorrow.

its in the left side of the cargo area, not where the stock amp/sub is

my old one did it in cold weather,but never did anything about it,most of the time if i shut the truck off and restarted it,it was off
Same here, it never really bothered me, i just reset it from time to time.

its in the left side of the cargo area, not where the stock amp/sub is

Ahh ok... I was looking in the left side of the cargo area and saw a module with a heatsink on it and assumed that was the amp.

haha yeah, those/thats the amp, i should have been more specific, DRIVERS side lol, pop that little cover off where the jack, and wiper fluid's in, and in front of the tank (towards the front of the truck) theres the module, with the little button on it, and there should be a RED light when you press it

From the 4x4 troubleshooting thread
Its fairly common on 1st Gen explorers to periodically have a dimly lit LEDs next to the 4x4 buttons. Mine tend to appear dimly lit a few times per month, more often when it gets cold out. Rest assured you vehicle is not in 4x4 unless both the dash and button lights come on.

Back