• Register Today It's free!

4x4 and tranny issues

lynnboy021

Reaction score
City, State
billerica ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
first lets start off with the 4x4...my 4x4 high light flashes 10 times then off for a min or two.. if i press the 4x4 high you can hear the t-case motor switch to 4x4H and if i press 4x4L you can hear it switch to 4x4L so i know the motor is working... i looked up online and people said that the ground wire next to the case can be broken but it seems to look ok... hooked up my scanner and i get code P1824 4-wheel drive clutch relay circuit...

now to the trans.. i did a trans filter and fluid change and the fluid was really good nice and red and no bernt smell to it... so my problems i am having is, 1. i get a whine when starting up the truck. maybe air is getting in the tranny? 2. trans shifts fine and smooth but when down shifting from 2 to 1 kinda has a small kick. maybe from trans or driveshaft? maybe needs more fluid? i dont get no codes or no o/d light on....

2004 xlt

first lets start off with the 4x4...my 4x4 high light flashes 10 times then off for a min or two.. if i press the 4x4 high you can hear the t-case motor switch to 4x4H and if i press 4x4L you can hear it switch to 4x4L so i know the motor is working... i looked up online and people said that the ground wire next to the case can be broken but it seems to look ok... hooked up my scanner and i get code P1824 4-wheel drive clutch relay circuit...

now to the trans.. i did a trans filter and fluid change and the fluid was really good nice and red and no bernt smell to it... so my problems i am having is, 1. i get a whine when starting up the truck. maybe air is getting in the tranny? 2. trans shifts fine and smooth but when down shifting from 2 to 1 kinda has a small kick. maybe from trans or driveshaft? maybe needs more fluid? i dont get no codes or no o/d light on....

2004 xlt
@lynnboy021

First, depressing the 4X4 HIGH button does NOTHING with the t-case motor, which ONLY shifts t-case into and out of 4X4 LOW. 4X4 HIGH is a SWITCH which turns on an electronic clutch in the t-case. When 4X4 AUTO is depressed as in all normal driving, the clutch is controlled automatically to engage upon detected wheel slip, and at that ONLY with slip present.

P1824 tells you something is haywire with the relays, 2 of them, mounted on the upper-right-hand fender lip in the back. These relays drive the shift motor to engage and disengage 4X4 LOW ONLY.

I will check the relays... really just more worried about the trans..

Back