4x4 does not work | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 does not work

Ok sorry for the numerous posts, but I think I have an answer why the 4x4CM isnt located where everyone else's is. in 2004 they began to integrate the CM with the PCM.

This means a few bad things:
-There are less people, and therefore less information about this PCM failure
-It is likely to cost more
-Lastly, it is not likely to be an easy fix (as swapping a module out is)

Everyday the winter season gets closer, and I am getting worried about not being able to get back and fourth.
Please help me resolve this, give me any insight or anything, ASAP.
Thanks again fellas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys, I'm a new member. I have an 03 Explorer XLT 4x4 with a 4.6L.

I joined because it seems to be a significant issue.

I took a shot at the control module and installed it an still no 4wd.

Based on all of the posts, here are my symptoms. Instrument cluster lights illuminate when i turn the key to on, when I start the truck, the lights go out. The dashboard swith does nothing, no lights on thw switch, etc.

Where is the next logical place to turn?

Thanks again for all of the great information.

Pull the bezel around your hvac and stereo to see if the switch has it's connector plugged in.

Thanks for the reply, has the dashboard switched looked at last week and it was uplugged.

Voila, 4X4 is working perfectly.

Guess I have a spare Control Module now.

Thanks again.

Hello everyone. First off, I'd like to send a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone that has posted on this thread. I was ready to pull my hair out over the issues I was having with my Explorer, especially since it's the holidays and money is tight. I didn't know how much I'd have to spend just to have someone LOOK at my problem, let alone fix it. To pay it forward, I decided to post my experience. It is a tad different than everyone else's, but still with the same root cause and fix.

My 2002 Explorer is actually my wife's truck. A few weeks ago, she came in after just leaving and asked me to take a look at her truck, that it was lurching as she turned out of the driveway. As soon as I started it up, I noticed that the 4x4 low light was on. I attempted to place it in auto, to no avail. The light on the selector button would just blink. I slowly got it back in our driveway, and finally got it to go into auto. After driving it a little, I decided she must have accidentally engaged it (wasn't sure at the time how, since it needs to be in N).

About a week later, it happened again. Somehow 4x4 low was engaging by itself when the car was started. I went out to check it out and sure enough, when I turned the car on the 4x4 high and low idiot lights blinked a few times and the low light was illuminated on the low button. This time, I could NOT get it out of low right away. The light would flash on the button, but I wouldn't hear the clicking from the CM box or anything. By that time, I had found this thread about the issue, so I tried disconnecting the battery, disconnecting the CM and connecting both again. This temporarily got it back in auto. I later found that just disconnecting the battery and reconnecting after a minute or two would do the trick. You don't have to mess with the CM if you are just trying to get it back in auto.

Two days later, it went back into low by itself. Looking back, I do believe the three times it happened were cold mornings, not sure if that was related. Anyways, you can't let your wife drive a car around that engages itself in 4x4 low if you don't think you can explain to her how to get it off. Doing some research and asking the Silver State Ford parts guy his opinion, I decided to disconnect the 4x4 control module and see if I could drive it strictly in 4 auto (ultimately, 2 wheel drive).

I was able to drive normally without the 4x4 CM connected. (You have to make sure it's in 4 auto before disconnecting it. The first time I did this, I didn't get it back into 4 auto before disconnecting it, so when I drove with the CM disconnected, it drove horribly, since it was in 4 low still.) I'm not officially telling you that you won't hurt your car driving it with the CM connected at all, but I did it multiple times for about a week with no isssues. I also noticed someone else say that they drove like this for a while with no issues. So if you need to drive and you are willing to risk it, try it out.

I was hesitant to buy the new CM at first, since I was doing some self-diagnosing. However, since it worked fine when I disconnected it totally, I decided that was proof enough for me. I can validate what everyone is saying about silver state ford. They have GREAT customer service. I ordered the part at 2:30 PM EST on a Thursday and the part arrived Saturday morning, and I just used their standard shipping. The part is $165 and they charge someting like 12% for shipping, so the total was $185. A lot better than the $311 the dealer wanted! Here is the website one more time:
http://www.silverstatefordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214290

I would still recommend calling their number (1-800-810-6596) just to verify the part number. Then just enter the part number on that page and order it. My part was 2c5z7e453a.

As soon as I received the part, I put it in. Only took me 10 minute to disconnect the neg battery terminal, undo the glove compartment, and install the new part, and redo everything. I already had the old one out since I had disconnected it days earlier. It has worked like a champ since then. I cycled through all 4x4 modes with no issues and it's driving fine. Granted, it's only been a couple of days. If something does go wrong, you can be sure I'll be back on this forum letting you know.

I do want to mention that I NEVER had this shift into low while I was driving. It only happened when we started the car. If I would have had it happen while going 30 MPH, who knows what would have happened to the transmission! If someone does have that issue, I wouldn't waste time trying to diagnose it yourself.

Again, thanks to everyone that has posted on this thread. I don't have a need to check back on this thread anymore, but I'll try to remember to every once in a while in case someone had a specific question for me. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

This is a great forum and it has helped me save a few hundred dollars.

I also had no 4x4 this winter. I didnt know until I check to see if I still got 4x4 after Thanksgiving. I remember I had to jump start my explorer in the summer because my kids didn't close the door completely. That may have messed up the 4x4CM. The auto shop quoted me $690 to replace and program the 4x4 CM.

After reading the thread, I ordered the module from http://www.silverstatefordparts.com. I talked to Mike and he took my VIN (Limited, V8) and then crossed checked the old part #, 1L24-7H473-AH. He gave me the new part # 1L2Z7E453A and asked me to order that on line. The cost was $180.14 plus $22.52 shipping. Obviously, there was a big increase in price of this module. That's way better than $690 that the shop quoted me for a 10 minute job.

Thanks again.

I just got a price from the dealer I work at of $156 and they have it in stock. So I will be finally buying it next week. WhooHoo can't wait to have 4wd again. Let it snow...

4x4 CM

I just installed the 4x4 CM on my wife's 2002 Explorer and four wheel drive is working again. I got the new CM for $178 from www.rockauto.com and It literally took me 10 minutes to install it. My thanks to everyone who posted on this thread.

4x4 high Flashing light @ random

had no 4x4 low or high till i recently replaced 4x4 CM on my wifes 03 explorer with new one. 4x4 high works as well as low most of the time. After driving vehicle for a while stopping and trying to engage 4x4 high or low (in park or neutral w foot on brake) sometimes 1 or both will not engage.i still get 4x4 high light flashing on dash randomly. as well as sometimes only 4x4 high light comes on (w/o low lit.) when i start car. Replaced new CM with old unit no 4x4 and dash light flashing returned. (10x every 2 to 3 minutes.) Could this be a bad new CM or possibly a transfer case motor switch contact issue?:)

My 2001 Ranger would not come out of 4wd hi when switched to 2wd hi but would suddenly jump into 4wd lo with all the attendant lurching and soiling of pants on my part. It finally quit altogether after some prolonged clicking at the passengers kick panel. Because of this thread I located the 4X4 CM at Silverstate Ford parts and paid 134.95 delivered to my PO Box in 2 days. It took 10 minutes to change out and now works flawlessly. This forum is AWESOME!!!!!!!

Is the 4x4 Auto still working at all with a bad module or is my 4x4 just a 2x2 until I get it fixed? I have a feeling that I am just running a 2 wheel drive SUV for now.

I've checked all fuses - they area OK.
Pulled the radio bezel to see if the switch is connected - it is.
Did the battery reset procedure above - still no 4x4.

Symptoms:
1) No 4x4 lights on the selector switches.
2) Transfer case will not move out of 2WD, no clicking when I push the selector switches.

I'm going to call Silver State today and order the module, unless someone can tell me something else to look at first.

Thanks!

My old module looks like this:

IMG_0001.jpg

The new control module fixed my problems.

This is the old part.

OldModule.jpg

This the label on the box of the new module. The number is the Ford Catalog part number you want as of 2/2010.

ModuleBoxClose.jpg

This is the label on the new part. The number is the Engineering Number, not the Ford Catalog number. This confused me a little at first and I had to ask the Ford parts guy if I had the right part. This Engineering Number can change as the part is updated over time while the Ford Catalog number stays the same.

NewModule.jpg

BEFORE YOU GO OUT AND BUY A NEW 4x4CM FOR A 2002 EXPL. 4.0L XLT. PLEASE TRY THIS FIRST !

I've had this problem too, thinking I had a BAD 4x4 CM, the one located in the glove box. I would DEFINITELY try the "BATTERY RESET" FIRST!! Clearly because I tried it and IT WORKED !! Here was my problem, obviously, no 4x4, on one of the worst snow days, tried engaging 4x4Hi to go up steep hill to my house. NO go. No nothing, no lights blinking, no clicking sounds, nothing. The next day, I tried troubleshooting the problem. I noticed when you first get turn the key, and all the dash lights come on, I had "4x4Lo" light up, but no "4x4Hi" dash light. Therefore, I thought I had a bad 4x4 CM. Was JUST ABOUT to order a new one from SilverState Ford in Nevada, when I decided to check here one more time for a CHEAPER solution. By the way, I also had problems with dead battery, which according to some, if you swap out battery incorrectly, it will "fry" your 4x4CM. That may or may not be true, but apparently if you do this battery reset procedure, it COULD bring your 4x4Hi back to life.

I did the battery reset. Just like others have posted. Remove the POS cable to your battery. Then, put key in ignition and turn. I did it BOTH ways, since I wasn't sure if you should just TURN and STOP just BEFORE you would "start" car, or if you should turn ALL THE WAY, as if you were going to start the car. Anyway, did it BOTH ways. Went back inside to warm up coffee and grab a piece of toast. Went back out after 5 mins, reconnected the POS cable to battery and then went to start car. BE ADVISED. At first, I didn't think it worked because the "4x4Hi" dash light didn't light up, just the "4x4Lo". However, when you actually go all the way and START the vehicle, I actually saw the "4x4Hi" dash light come one, and when I pushed the 4x4Hi button, I heard the clicking and voila, the "4x4Hi" dash light stayed on. So, I "guess" I have 4x4Hi now? LOL. We're supposed to get more snow in the next few days. Will let you know, but I'm pretty sure, from hearing the clicking both inside AND outside the vehicle, the 4x4 was engaging. Good Luck to all !

4x4 Works?

I had the same problem and symptoms as aatomicdawg36, I went to my local dealer and got an $89 diognostic check. They said the cm module needed to be replaced. I sure wish that I had checked this site first but it was snowing and I was close to the dealership. When the mechanic brought it out he called me over and said that It seemed to be partially working. He couldn't get a 4w hi light with the switch in the aux position. I drove it home in snow and the auto 4x4 seemed to work fine. I noticed that the 4w lo light comes on in aux switch position and both 4w lo and 4w hi come on for a couple of seconds when I start up.I can also hear the module or something click when I push the selector buttons. They had to order the module for my vehicle. I have driven it in snow 3 times since and it seems to be OK. I now don't know if I should spend the money to replace the module or take a chance. After reading this thread I think I could replace the module myself. By the way they required me to pay for the module before they would order one. Maybe they knew that whatever they did either on purpose or by accident fixed the problem?

SGTJJJ,

Be advised. According to the Owner's manual, you're NOT supposed to put it in 4x4Hi unless you are on a road that has NOT been plowed. Not even on rain-slicked roads. For that, just keep it in the 4x4auto. 4x4Hi is only for like sand, mud, and [significant accumulations of] snow, where you really are expecting the wheels to have a lot of play and slip. So, if you put it in 4x4hi and turn circles on the dry/rain pavement on the cul-de-sac, look out !! You could ruin your 4x4 components. Just an FYI.

Thanks

Thanks. I only try to move the vehicle in 4x4 hi or low when it is on snow, ice etc. On dry pavement I only check to see if it will engage and disengage with out moving.
Where in the owners manual can I find the instructions for resetting the electrical system by taking the + connection off of the battery and turning the switch to the aux position? I have looked and can not find.

aatomicdawg36 I'm gonna try your deal with the positive batt cable. I tried the neg cable earlier today with no luck. Of course we get 8" today and I have no 4x4. This is the one time I want the "witchcraft" to work! No offense to all who have posted. Without everyone swapping the fixes we would be nowhere! If the pos cable doesn't work, I will order the CM. I only hope that it stops there. I don't want to drop greenbacks on a transfer case right now. Thanks everybody for all the great posts!!!!

You guys where lucky that a battery reset fixed you 4x4 problems. My 4x4 lights where completely dead plus the battery reset did no good.

Installing the new CM corrected all my problems.

I opened up my old CM to look and see if any obvious component was damaged or burned. I couldn't see anything wrong. Not surprised though because it looks like a pretty complected PC board.

I'd be glad to send it to somebody that has electronics testing equipment.

Maybe we can figure out how to fix the bad ones?

Thanks. I only try to move the vehicle in 4x4 hi or low when it is on snow, ice etc. On dry pavement I only check to see if it will engage and disengage with out moving.
Where in the owners manual can I find the instructions for resetting the electrical system by taking the + connection off of the battery and turning the switch to the aux position? I have looked and can not find.

You can't "FIND" it in the Owners Manuel. I found it by reading a couple of threads here. And, while I'm here, I might as well update my saga. UNFORTUNATELY for me, and I don't know why, I guess my "witchcraft mojo" was at the apprentice level (lol), but that "reset" only worked temporarily for me. Now, go figure. You'd think an electrical circuit board, which is all that 4x4CM is, would either WORK or NOT. Well, it worked the first day, and I'm pretty sure because I could hear the switching and the clunking in the rears (TC). When I went out the next day, no more 4x4Hi dash lights, no more switching sounds from the glove box, no more clunking underneath the car. So, I did like most. I ordered the part. If you go to ROCKAUTO, they have it for about $20 cheaper that Silverstate in Nevada. Good Luck to all ! PS. Got the part yesterday, installed in in about 5mins, and tested it, and so far, so good. Switching, clunking, ahhhh, sweet music to my ears !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update

Thanks. I looked and looked and couldn't find the reset procedure in the book. However mine is still working - knock on wood. I went back to the dealer and they refunded my money for the module. I don't know now if I should order one on line or wait awhile and see what happens. By the way. I notice that they say to disconnect the negative wire from the battery when replacing the module. Does it hurt if you disconnect the positive or both cables? Does something bad happen if you disconnect anything but the negative?

Back