• Register Today It's free!

4x4 engage/disengage Question?

Skibug

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport 4x4
When I go to engage my 4 wheel drive, everything seems to go fine. But sometimes when I go to put it back into 2wd, it will give a loud grinding sound and will not go back into 2wd. I have the 2wd, auto, 4low switch. This is my first 4wd vehicle and was wondering if this is normal. I can creep forward or back a few feet and try to disengage it again and it will be fine then. Is this normal for it to grind if not in sync or something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put mine on 4WLO by putting the gear on neutual,foot on brake, turn the switch to 4WLO, it would kick into LO with a clunk in 2 secs.

I take it out of 4WLO with foot on brake, gear on neutual, turn the switch to 2W, it would kick into 2W with a clunk in 2 secs.

That is the procedure I go through.

1. Put in nuetral, foot on brake
2. Switch to 4lo
3. Put in drive, hear clunk within 2 sec

To get out of 4low

1. Put in nuetral, foot on brake
2. Switch to 2wd
3. Put in drive.
This is where I get the grinding sometimes like it does not want to click out of 4low. It will continue to sit there and grind until I put it back into 4low, move either forward or backward a bit and try again.

What is going on here and what can I do to fix this, or is this something that happens sometimes with these push putton 4wd trucks?

Anyone else have an idea?

The shift motor may just need to be cleaned. Lots of threads with the link to the Singleton maintenance site with step by step instructions.

Back