• Register Today It's free!

4x4 engaging but clunks in front

jacarc1

Reaction score
City, State
little falls ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
OK so i just bought this 92 explorer a week ago and have made good progress thanks to all the info here. My 4x4 wasnt working and found the harness behind the switch was unplugged. I plugged it in and the 4x4 lights came on and it engaged but while going down hill it seemed to clunk and make some wierd noises. The roads are wet here and noticed while in 4x4 it was turning hard. I have the automatic hubs and was wondering what i should be looking for. I plan on checking/changing both differential fluids as well as the transfer case. Any info on what people are using in the diiff. and transfer case would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like normal noises that you would hear in four wheel drive on pavement.
Our transfer cases send power equally to the front and rear diffs, so just like if you were to have a locker in the rear and turn your tire would squeel and you would possible have some hopping going on.

Same principle applies here, when turning in four wheel drive the front and rear axles are trying to turn at the same speed, following diffferent arcs, you should notice on dirt, ice or other low traction situations you will be able to turn easier because of wheel slippage that will occur.

Also you said you just bought it, are all four tires exactly the same brand, size and have equal wear, that could affect things in four wheel drive too.

Yeah...wet pavement isn't an ideal surface to engage 4WD on since you're likely to bind the driveline. On slippery surfaces, the tires will slip which gets rid of any binding. As burke said, when you turn, the outside wheel travels faster than the inside wheel and turning on a high traction surface with 4WD engaged, you're going to cause the transfer case to bind up and something is going to have to give. The wheel hops and skips as a way of getting rid of the driveline bind.

Fluids in the differential......Ford calls for a synthetic 80W-140 for the rear and 4 oz. of friction modifier if you have a limited slip. The transfer case takes Mercon ATF.

Thanks for the responses...i figured the wet roads didnt allow enough slippage i was just happy the 4x4 works and wanted to try it out. I think i got a really good deal on the truck. only paid 300 for it thinking i was going to need a tranny and figured the 4x4 not working was going to be a pia! Im in upstate ny and this truck came from the south so there is limited rust! Thanks again and im sure i will have more questions

Back