• Register Today It's free!

4X4/Front Diff.

SPCHenderson

Reaction score
City, State
statesville,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Howdy all ive got a 96 XLT 2 dr 4.0 exolorer and im having some weird front diff. or 4x4 issues...it shifts into 4x4 with no problems and still engages and works while off road but it started making this extreamly loud grinding and popping noises in the front while in 4x4 low and hi..

It will shift right out of 4x4 easily and drive fine in 2wd with no noises..

Please help!! and thanks ahead to all.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How hard is the surface your using your 4x4 on? If the tires are not on a surface that allows slipping then you will get some binding.

If your hearing the noises in 4x4 when turning, then the surface your on isn't allowing enough slip. You need to be on lose ground, snow, gravel ect. to use 4x4.
This information is in your owners manual.

no it was doing it when turning and when not turning and i dont turn my 4x4 on unless i am in the mud or snow..its really not a binding noise its more of a loud grinding sound.

Have you checked the fluid in your differential?

Alrighty. Are you sure its the differential and not one of the CV axles?

im not entirely sure but they are both only about a year old...but they could be defective

Well its possible it could be the gears in your differential. Which is way out of my knowledge. Search the site for ways to test it. Seems like I've seen a post talking about turning the wheels by hand and feeling for something.

Back