• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer front diff problem?

Bobby26

Reaction score
City, State
St. Paul, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
I have a 97 explorer sport and about a week ago I began hearing a rubbery grinding noise from the front of my truck. My mechanic says it's my front differential. I have checked my brakes, wheel hubs/bearings and my tires. All appear to be good so it must be my front diff. So now I have to find the gear ratio and it is not on the diff cover like everyone tells me it should be. It is a 4x4, 4.0L 2-door. If anyone can tell me where or what my ratio is and where to get either a new diff or the parts i'll need it would help alot. Thanks.:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would look into find ing the problem befreo you jsut go and replace a whole differential.. they are not cheap.....

what is your axle code? it is listed in the door jamb

There is a tag on the drivers side door with an two didgit axle code. You can use it to find out what ratio you have.

If you have a Chiltons manual they list the codes in the front.

Oh yea. Welcome aboard.:)

Diff ratio

I found my axle code on my door it says 41. Which I think is a 3.27 ratio. I found a used diff for about 400 with that ratio.

I got a used 2000 XLT about two months ago and since the purchase I have noticed that in four wheel drive the front of the vehicle will make a loud clunk when the wheel is turned completely to one side. What is the problem and could it be the hubs...I don't want to do the diff if that's not the issue. It doesn't have a lot of miles but I am concerned that the repair will be expensive.

Are you in 4WD on dry road? If so, thats why. 4WD must be used only on rough, slippery road surfaces. The front diff will bind if you turn in 4WD on dry paved roadway.

Back