• Register Today It's free!

4x4 kick in while turning slow

maxtwan

Reaction score
City, State
Addison,Ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
my 4 wheel drive binds and moans while i ture left or right at slow speed.anyone ever have this problem.if i take my front drive shaft out it dosnt do it???????:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fill in your vehicle specs, psychic services are currently suspended due to budget cuts.

Are you talking about 4WD high? If so, it is supposed to do that. The wheels are locked together and turn at the same speed, so you can't turn tight corners without the tires scrubbing. If you are talking about 4X4 auto engaging when you turn, there is probably something else going on. If you take out the front driveshaft, you only have an open diff between the front wheels, so that doesn't tell you anything except that the front diff is fine.

its a 1999 ford explorer xl ohv.4.0 x.its not when its in 4 wheel...its when i start it up and go to leave or after its been running for a little while.when i ture left or right at a slow speed(pulling in to a gas pump)it acts like the front diff kicks in.it make a moaning noise and sometime clicking.its not the CV axles the both are new.i replaced the frond diff due to this problem and it does the same thing.like i said if i take out the front drive shaft it dosn't do it..??

Do all four of your tires match exactly?

yes.tires are brand new.2 months old.all the same size.

its a 1999 ford explorer xl ohv.4.0 x.its not when its in 4 wheel...its when i start it up and go to leave or after its been running for a little while.when i ture left or right at a slow speed(pulling in to a gas pump)it acts like the front diff kicks in.it make a moaning noise and sometime clicking.its not the CV axles the both are new.

*** i replaced the frond diff due to this problem and it does the same thing.***

like i said if i take out the front drive shaft it dosn't do it..??

Let's start from here. You previously had this issue -- differential locking and binding -- so you replaced the differential and it still does the same thing. The 4x4 engagement in AUTO is electronically controlled and is supposed to engage when the system detects slippage. By chance is your ABS light on or have you encountered any ABS braking problems?

nope,no abs light on,do u think it could be speed sensors?

Your transfer case is in need of new guides on its shift fork , either pull the case and rebuild or swap it out for another one

Your transfer case is in need of new guides on its shift fork , either pull the case and rebuild or swap it out for another one

i replaced the transfer case also

I would focus on testing the 4x4 tc control module and the 3 wheel speed sensors (2 front hubs and rear differential). If the system detects a difference in wheel speeds it engages 4hi. Keep in mind there were TSBs for ABS kicking in at low speeds due to front hub sensors causing misreads.

Back