4x4 Manual Hub Conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Manual Hub Conversion

tabrad

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Ford Explorer
I have a 91 explorer that has the automatic 4x4 hubs, which doesn't work. I am wanting to bipass the electric part of the system entirely, because I am not sure I want to fix it all.

My question is, to convert to manual hubs is all I need to have is the manual hubs with the correct gasket kit? And will I be able to ONLY install these two parts and have a functioning 4wd system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not gaskets you'll need, it's 2 sets of spindle nuts, made for manual hubs.
All you need to convert from auto to manual is two hubs and two nut sets.
BUT, installing manual hubs will only make your 4WD work if the original hubs were bad.
If you want to bypass the elec part of 4WD, you can swap in a manual transfercase, or pull off the elec motor on the transfercase and shift it with pliers, etc, (this is what I do) or buy one of two products to shift the T-case discussed in this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273757&highlight=shiftster
Or you can try to repair your shift motor: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273757&highlight=shiftster

Thanks, looks like a little more work than I planned, but not too much.

So if I were to buy the new manual hubs with the correct nuts, I would be able to shift into 4wd as long as I am able to switch the transfer case manually?

You need to determine what is not working on your truck, the hubs or the shift motor. You can replace things, but if you don't replace the things that don't work, you still won't have usable 4WD.
Or maybe you know what's wrong, but it's not clear to me in your post. :dunno:

No I don't know what is wrong. I wanted to convert to manual because I thought it would be easier than troubleshooting the automatic system, but it looks like I will have to trouble shoot the auto system no matter what... well time for me to start going through the 4wd troubleshooting thread :)

I get not wanting to troubleshoot it. If you swap on some manual hubs AND a Shiftster http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301260 you'll have 4WD when you want it, the old fashioned way - by hand.
I think they're $55. You can accomplish the same thing for free by pulling off the shift motor and turning it by hand.

Shift motor

I had a problem with my 1993 shifting into 4x4. I removed the electric motor from the transfer case. When I opened it up, I found that there is a short rod with a rubber bushing on it. This is to ensure the proper stopping point of the motor. The bushing was damaged and fell off the rod. I used a narrow strip of duct tape to put the bushing back in place. Replacing the bushing would be better, but I could not find one at the time.

yay my thread got linked.

if you want it to work no matter what(unless the case itself is screwed), get pliers or the shiftster along with manual hubs.
otherwise read the threads in the trans/transercase/drivetrain section about troubleshooting this stuff

No I don't know what is wrong. I wanted to convert to manual because I thought it would be easier than troubleshooting the automatic system, but it looks like I will have to trouble shoot the auto system no matter what... well time for me to start going through the 4wd troubleshooting thread :)

Many people have been in the same boat as you. Some didn't want to get in over their head trying to get their 4x4 working. But once they used the troubleshooting guide and cracked open the shift motor they saw the broken stop bumper (Which is the issue most of the time) and got their 4x4 working again. They kick themselves for not doing it earlier since it was so easy to do.

Read the trouble shooting guide to at least diagnose the problem. If the guide is not clear or confusing let us know and we can walk through it with you. You are not alone and have us as a resource..

Hi
Would you suggest fixing the automatic hubs or convert the 1991 Ford Explorer
to manual Hubs. And what would be involved? We are hoping for another 10 years trouble free wheeling.
Eddie

Hi
Would you suggest fixing the automatic hubs or convert the 1991 Ford Explorer
to manual Hubs. And what would be involved? We are hoping for another 10 years trouble free wheeling.
Eddie

Automatic hubs are expensive to replace $200+ each and not nearly has strong as manual hubs. As such I would suggest replacing them with manuals.

Check out
Automatic to manual hub conversion. . It's pretty easy and you can do the job in under an hour with just a torque wrench and spindle nut socket.

Hi
Thank you for getting back so quickly.
My wife was asking about the tranfer case. How do we engage it if the electric motor is gone. I looked a the Shiftster.... is there any other suggestions?
Eddie

Manual operation of an Auto T-Case can be achieved by:

What is wrong with your shift motor?

yeah, you can just use the large gear from the shift motor to manually shift your case. it's pretty easy if you don't mind laying under there for a sec and it doesn't cost you a cent.

It is really easy to repair the shift motor. The electrics are probably all still good. Thye mechanics too. The parts that will fail is a little rubber ring. This rubber ring sits on a tit at the edge of a disk. The ring tells the computer how the disk is positioned. When the rubber disintegrates. the computer doesn't know where the disk is. replace that rubber with a small piece of fuel line and it works perfectly.

The first time it took me about 45 minutes. When i got my second Ex it was less than 30 start to finish.

But yeah, plan on changing your hubs too. The autos break like eggs.

If you don't line up everything correctly when putting the motor back together it is a pain in the butt. I spent the better part of 5 hours trying to get it to shift gears properly. I gave up eventually :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info, This is what we are looking 4.
We were looking at another site. He proposed interchangeable BW 1354's. Taking out the electric BW 1354 and replacing it with a manual. Of course from the same year and model. In our case a 1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr . Taking the shifter pan and cover the standard shift hole, not changing the auto transmission, just the BW 1354's. Would this work?

Back