4x4 module may be bad | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 module may be bad

If i decide to rebuild the shift motor tomorrow, and I need to get something from the store, can I still drive it without the shift motor on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, I would beg to differ... There are more than a few occasions where high speeds in 4low are useful, and deep snow is one of them. Deep sand is one I use it for regularly as well. The torque multiplication greatly reduces the strain on the (not-so-strong-to-begin-with) transmission.
I was thinking more in day to day use (including snow), not off-roading excursions in a desert or dunes :D.

Snow has a density factor of about 1/4 of sand so I'm not sure 4LO is needed.
I think turning off overdrive (minimize strain), keeping the transmission gear selector in 1st gear, and an easy foot on the gas, is enough to get through most snow situations.

I think one of the biggest problems people do is mash the gas when the vehicle is in 4LO just to get up to speed -- which leads to the transmission spinning at very high RPMs, and the transmission burps fluid shortly there after.

But to each his own.

If i decide to rebuild the shift motor tomorrow, and I need to get something from the store, can I still drive it without the shift motor on?
Yes, but only for a few miles and at low speeds. With the transfer case motor off, the shift rail/rod thing is exposed and fluid will come out around the rail/rod.

If you remove the shift motor, what holds the shift rail in place? In other words, what stops the planetary gear set from sliding around? As long as the shift rail does not turn, it'll probably be fine. But with nothing to hold it in place, what's to stop it from moving? (I'm really asking... I don't know)

And I know we're kind of getting off-topic, but how does the transmission turn any faster in low range than in high range? The input shaft speed is a function of engine RPM, and the output shaft speed is strictly a function of the gear selected inside it, so......? I would agree that at, say, 25 mph, the trans output shaft is turning faster in low range than in high range, but isn't it kind of immaterial?

If you remove the shift motor, what holds the shift rail in place? In other words, what stops the planetary gear set from sliding around? As long as the shift rail does not turn, it'll probably be fine. But with nothing to hold it in place, what's to stop it from moving? (I'm really asking... I don't know)
Hey your right! But there are "lobes" in the shift rail that the fork's cam sits on. I was hoping that if he travels slow enough, the fork would hopefully not pop out of this lobe. But you're correct, the consequences of the fork popping out is far more costly than calling a friend up for a ride :D

And I know we're kind of getting off-topic, but how does the transmission turn any faster in low range than in high range? The input shaft speed is a function of engine RPM, and the output shaft speed is strictly a function of the gear selected inside it, so......? I would agree that at, say, 25 mph, the trans output shaft is turning faster in low range than in high range, but isn't it kind of immaterial?
Well my thought is that the higher transmission RPMs just leads to more heat. And when people start traveling in 4LO at 35 mph, thats equivalent to going 85-ish miles per hour in 2HI without the cooling effect of traveling at 2HI (less air moving over the heat exchangers per unit of time in 4LO - because the vehicle is traveling 2.5-ish times slower).

I have my ex outside in pieces as I am typing. I got the motor off...I'm pretty sure its shot. The problem I have now is that the motor is wired to the transmission....there is no plug to disconnect it. How to I get this thing out without cutting wires?

There is a plug, there has to be a plug. Or else it would be impossible to replace. Keep tracing the wire up.

There is a plug....but I have to take the pins out to unhook it. Its going to be a pain in the a$$ to remove. Its 8 degrees outside.

Its like the manufacture got the design backwards. I unhooked the only plug. Then I see the motor is hard wired to the tranny. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

here are some pics
IM000888.jpg

IM000890.jpg

Go further up the chain, there should be another plug.

There is two plug like things I need to take out, 1 bolt each to get them out. I think one is hooked to the tranny and the other to the transfer case.....not sure ...didn't really look....it's too cold outside. I am pretty sure they are sensors of some kind. If I take those out, do you think I will lose any fluid?

I put it all back together this morning since I need to drive it tonight. I may need to stop at the library and check out a service manual. I plan on rebuilding this transfer case motor. I think I have used 4x4 low 5 times since the truck was new. I wonder why the life span on these motors is so little.

I will try to get more pics.

I wonder why the life span on these motors is so little.

And I wonder why you are still convinced it's the shift motor? Couldn't it be a bad wire or a poor connection somewhere? Could it be a bad sensor? Without the trouble code, there's no way to know what fault the system is seeing. I might know a guy that can scan it cheap... that'll eliminate all doubt. Let me see what I can do...

FWIW, I use low range at least once a month. It's 10 years old, with 146,000 miles on it. It still worked yesterday. I think that's a pretty decent lifespan. If it went out tomorrow, I'd buy a replacement in a heartbeat, but I don't see that happening.

I am trying to figure out the wiring issue, that way i can test the motor and troubleshoot the rest of the 4x4 system.

Hi Jacobl,

Have you solved the 4x4 problem. I have the same problem. HIGH works, LOW is not working and AUTO flashes 4x4 high 8 times every 2 minutes.

Already did:

New 4x4 module
New Transfer Case motor.

Still nothing. The only code the Ford dealer found was U1900 !!!!

My original module number was:

1L24-7H473-AH.

The new one is:

2C54-7H417-AH

Maybe this is my problem ??. Finding the correct parts of a Ford USA car here in Holland is a bit difficult.

So I was wondering if you found the solution for your 4x4 problem ???

Edward

4x4 module

I have a question for all you experts out there...about a month ago my Explorer shifted into 4L by itself. We had not problems after that. HOwever, now when we could have used the 4WD it won't shift over. The lights don't come on at all.....not upon starting or trying to place it in 4WD. The fuses are ok....does this mean the Module is bad? If it were the differentials, would the lights still illuminate? Also, if either of these is a problem...does the check engine light come on? Just curious...WE need some HELP!

THanks!

Hi Jacobl,

Have you solved the 4x4 problem. I have the same problem. HIGH works, LOW is not working and AUTO flashes 4x4 high 8 times every 2 minutes.

Already did:

New 4x4 module
New Transfer Case motor.

Still nothing. The only code the Ford dealer found was U1900 !!!!

My original module number was:

1L24-7H473-AH.

The new one is:

2C54-7H417-AH

Maybe this is my problem ??. Finding the correct parts of a Ford USA car here in Holland is a bit difficult.

So I was wondering if you found the solution for your 4x4 problem ???

Edward

To answer your question......I have not found the problem. I am pretty sure the problem is with a sensor or the electrical system. I shall post an update when I find the problem.

exact same problem

Just thought I'd get on queue. My mechanic changed my control module and now I get the 8 blinks every 2 minutes thing, and the noise on the left turn thing, and before I took it back (again!!!) I thought I'd pop in on y'all for the 411. Sigh.

I'll check back, and let you know if he comes up with anything as well.

And thank you all for being here. I don't know what I would do without these forums and the kind and helpful and decent souls who post.

cheers

-karen

Hi new here i have no shift or lights flashing in any of the settings ,2002 explorer,tested out on snow only rear wheels drive ,any help ,thanks meddean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, my mechanic changed out the rear sensor on the transfer case motor (I'm pretty sure that's where it is)---and I haven't had trouble with it for 3 days, so I guess its fixed. Yay!

Back