4X4 not operating correctly 96 XL

Rex Roach

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XL
Hey guys happy new year!
I have a 96 explorer 4.0L with the "control trac" system on it with the "auto 4X4" it doesn't seem to want to kick in all the time.. no lights on in the dash, I'm just wondering what some common problems are with this so called auto feature and if there is an easy way to make it like a normal 4X4... and does anyone know exaclty how the control trac works... does it engage the 4X4 shift selinoid or is there a clutch inside the T-case that transfers the power to the front? I tried doing a search but I couldn't really come up with anything specific to my problem. thanks for any help

I don't know how you found that or how I didn't find it but thank you very much... I totally forgot about the axle disconnect... I feel like a tard now... thanks alot... I was a mechanic at ford for 6 years but all I worked on was diesel engine... I still should have known about this.. dang... thanks again

I don't know how you found that or how I didn't find it but thank you very much... I totally forgot about the axle disconnect... I feel like a tard now... thanks alot... I was a mechanic at ford for 6 years but all I worked on was diesel engine... I still should have known about this.. dang... thanks again

You're welcome. You can look at the stickies in the trans,diff and transfer cas forums section for the brown wire mod. Just putting a switch in the brown wire circuit will disable the clutch pack and allow 2 wheel drive. I just repaired my shift motor this morning. It didn't have the guts to get into and out of 4x4 low range. Now it's smooth as silk. The sealed encoder assembly was very hard to turn- used some silicone spray to free it up and I did a backyard armature clean up and undercut the segments. A little clean up of the brushes and some cleaning and lightly greasing the worm and spur gears.

Back