4x4 not working and had codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 not working and had codes

Bapster

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi guys,

I have a 99 explorer xlt auto. I am having an issue with the 4x4. on my truck it has, Auto, 4wd hi, and 4wd low. When I change the selector from auto to 4wd hi, the light on the dash comes on, but it doesn't actually engage, and the same with 4 low, the 4 low partially engaged, I could feel the binding etc when turning the wheel on bare pavement, but driving straight it was as if the truck was in the "auto" selection. We have an 01 explorer xlt on our lot, so I used that to test what it's all supposed to feel like, etc. The 4wd hi and 4wd low lights do not flash, only come on when the selector is switched to the desired selection. When I got the codes read, it gave me P1867 & P1891. just after that is when I tested it to see if it actually was in 4 low which is when I heard/felt the binding. Any ideas what it could be? From what I've read on here and other sites it seems like it is most likely the 4x4 shift motor/encoder...your guys thoughts and advice? I am planning on switching the shift motor out of the one we have at the shop just as a test and same with the GEM module....but wanted to hear your guys advice and stuff first. Thanks guys for your input etc on this, I really appreciate it...with snow now here, I'd like to have use of the 4wd high :thumbsup:

Back