• Register Today It's free!

LOWRANGE_CH_MEX

Reaction score
City, State
CHIHUAHUA CHIH.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4X4
:help: HI EVERYONE!!

LAST WEEKEND I NOTICE THAT 4X4 WASNT WORKING (UNFORTUNATELY WHEN I GOT STUCK IN LOOSE SAND IN A RIVER) WELL I PUSH THE 4X4 BUTTON AND I DONT HEAR NOTHING BUT THE LIGHTS ON THE SWITCH ARE ON AND THE DASH ALSO, WHEN I PUSH THE 4L BUTTON I HEAR THE T-CASE ENGAGING BUT I ONLY HAVE POWER TO REAR WHEELS AND FRONT WHEELS ARE "DEAD" I HAVE BEEN READING OTHER POSTS AND (IF I AM RIGHT) IF THE SERVO ITS THE PROBLEM THE LIGHT ON THE DASH DONT COME UP SO I'M THINKING THAT THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM CAN BE THE AUTOHUBS,

WHAT U THINK?? AM I RIGHT?? :scratch:

When you shifted into low range, could you tell that it was in low range even if the front was pulling? If so, then the t-case is definitely working and the problem lies elsewhere in the front drivetrain (most likely auto hubs as mentioned), so that's probably the next thing to look at.

Agree, the auto hubs are bad in 94's and made of plastic composite. Yank them hubs off & compare to other posts about it. DaRoche has a good link here on the board (I believe)

Walter

I've seen several times on 1st gen X's, someone has greased the autohubs, the mechanism doesn't like to engage unless everything is moving freely. Pull one of the hubs and take a look, if there appears to be excess grease, stiff, sticky or thick, you'll need to clean it out. Take some ATF, fill the hub to the top and let it sit for an hour or so, then dispose of that mix appropriately. You may have to repeat that procedure but get most of that old grease out, the autohubs work best lightly lubricated. See this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201782

Back