4x4 shift problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 shift problems

Farmtruckman, I fully understand your point. All I was doing was to try and explain the workings of the transfer case. I didn't mean anything else.
I wasn't trying to gang up on you, and I apologize if you think that was what I was doing. I am definately NOT looking for anyone to eat crow.
I just thought you might like to know how the transfer case works. :)

It was my shift motor

I took the shift motor off and it looked like brand new inside and out. I took it apart as described so beautifully and cleaned the commutator bars and greased it all up. It works perfectly now. I don't believe it had ever been used before.

Thanks everyone for their input!!

I took the shift motor off and it looked like brand new inside and out. I took it apart as described so beautifully and cleaned the commutator bars and greased it all up. It works perfectly now. I don't believe it had ever been used before.

Thanks everyone for their input!!

That tells me you had a poor electrical connection at the transfer case. You can take the motor off, and the 4wd will still work so long as the transfer case clutch coil is getting power. That power does not flow through the shift motor in any way, shape, or form.

Why do I feel like nobody listens to me sometimes??

Actually, I had power to the connection and it was clean. I even had power to the brushes. I just had so much black glaze on the commutator, the brushes weren't making contact.

Back