• Register Today It's free!

4X4 Trouble

sbanek

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
I have recently changed my Transfer-case shift motor due to it becoming stuck between 4WD low and 4WD high. I thought it would fix the problem of the truck automatical shifting in and out of 4WD. It didn't! I can be driving down the road and the drivetrain goes into neutral. I believe this be now a computer problem. Its almost like my 4WD is on all the time.

Any help??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is doing the same thing any help would be great I found that if I unplug the 4x4 cm that it goes into 2wd I am trying to decide if its the wheel bearing or the cm.

With the vehicle in AUTO or 2wd (or whatever setting you have), turn the engine off and disconnect the shift motor's connector. If the vehicle never goes back into Neutral or whatever, then the problem is electrical (sensor, computer, etc..). If it still sometimes goes into Neutral , the problem is mechanical and could either be the transfer case or the transmission.

How would I go about checking the front wheel sensors ? I have pulled the computer and it takes it out of 4x4 but as soon as I plug it in it goes back. I dont want to throw parts at this but need to fix it. anyone else have any ideas ??

4X4 Problems

I have fixed the problem. It was my shift module. I put the new computer component and all is good. Shift motor was ruined in the process from shifting in and out of 4wd High and low. Had to replace that also. I did check the speed sensors on the wheels by checking their votages all was fine there.

Here's something for future readers: don't shift into 4LO. 99.99% of the people out there will never need 4LO (because torque isnt the problem, its grip). It just leads to drivetrain problems because a percentage of the owners don't read the manual and don't know how to shift in/out of 4LO properly.

Here's the problem! It was shifting in and out of 4wd Lo on its own. I agree there is no need for 4x4 lo thats why I never shifted into it

Ohh ok, gotcha.

Back