• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Exhaust Question

2000black&gold

Reaction score
City, State
Carrollton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
So I've done a bit of searching... and I've read the 5.0 exhaust sticky. I read a lot, and got a lot of different answers. With that being said, I was hoping to get some opinions on the best exhaust setup for my vehicle and my tastes.

I have a 2000 AWD Eddie Bauer Explorer with the 5.0. I installed Torque Monster Headers on it last spring. I now want to upgrade the exhaust followed by a custom tune from Henson Performance. I'm looking for a muffler that has a good deep sound to it but isn't too loud. I want it to sound a little deeper than stock but nothing obnoxious, and definitely no highway drone. On, and all 4 cats are still on my Explorer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm running a dual 2.25 in single 2.50 out Magnaflow with the TM's and all 4 cats and it sounds nice. You really don't hear it until you step on it hard.

Definitely stay away from Flowmaster since you don't want drone.

I've got the headers too. I didn't want super loud. My Flo Pro muffler is perfect. I bought it for the performance, not to impress others. It's been perfect. Very well made too.

These can be hard to find in the US, but they are there. Check out their website for US sellers. I found an exhaust shop in Waukesha, WI that carried them and much preferred them to Magnaflow and Flowmaster (which they also installed). Check out the EF "reviews" section for the model # I used.

As far as drone goes, and speaking from experience with 2 Explorers (one with SOHC V6 and another with 5.0), the only way to kill the drone is to keep the OEM resonator or go with an aftermarket one. I went without one when I first got the Flo Pro until one day my young son asked me to "turn down the engine" from the back seat. This was before the TMH. I got one installed (and it did the trick), only to take it out soon after I got the headers (at the shop in Wisconsin). It wore on me again so I had the resonator re-installed. It's staying put.

Resonators aren't restrictive and only quiet down the outside rumble a little. They're designed to "tune" the sound and keep it quiet in the cab.
Posted via Mobile Device

Awesome, thanks for the responses. I've heard great things about both the Magnaflow and the FloPro mufflers. You both described exactly what I'm looking for... not to loud (mainly just when you get on it), but a good sound, and performance.

If I was to go with the FloPro, can they be ordered online? Also, what's a reasonable price for installation?

Thanks again!

The only place on line I've ever seen Flo-Pro's for sale is on Ebay and it's hot & miss. You can't buy direct from Flo-Pro. I really wanted a Flo-Pro but no one in Kansas City had them. They love pushing Flowmaster :mad:

Yeah, that's what I was afraid you were going to say. I guess I'll check their site and see if there are any dealers near by. I've never heard anything bad about them, so they must be good.

You could try a Gibson, it is made in the USA, pricing is good and the sound is mellow. Ultimately I would consider something without any drone, Gibson would definately get the job done. Magnaflow is good too. IF you are interested I could sell you a cat-back for your explorer.

Actually, Gibson is one I've also heard good things about. I'll keep your offer in mind. I'm gonna read some reviews and see what everyone has to say.

Also, about the resonator.... if I wanted to keep the stock resonator, is that something that an exhaust shop could easily incorporate into the new design? This might be a dumb question, but I know nothing about exhaust really.

Also, about the resonator.... if I wanted to keep the stock resonator, is that something that an exhaust shop could easily incorporate into the new design? This might be a dumb question, but I know nothing about exhaust really.

I can't see why not. They would just weld it inline to your new pipes (assuming you're getting new pipes). If you're just welding in a muffler, then it's a piece of cake.

I can't see why not. They would just weld it inline to your new pipes (assuming you're getting new pipes). If you're just welding in a muffler, then it's a piece of cake.

Ok sounds good. What's the advantage of going with all new pipes instead of just putting in a new muffler?

Ok sounds good. What's the advantage of going with all new pipes instead of just putting in a new muffler?

I went with larger diameter pipes. I won't get into the pros and cons and different pipe sizes (there are so many threads in the archives), but if you don't see the advantage, then just do the muffler.

I've seen people get "cat backs" and then do with the same diameter pipes. What's the point unless your pipes are super rusty.

Ok thanks for your response. I guess I'll read some threads on the pros and cons of different pipe sizes and decide what to do.

Back