• Register Today It's free!

5.0 hard starting issues

Rich-

Reaction score
City, State
Sioux Falls SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB
my 99 Eddie Bauer has a hard starting issue, it needs to crank a long while (5 sec. maybe) to fire off, then it will stumble and fart / pop for about 2 sec, and then all is good and it runs fine. it is stock, has 156K miles.
plugs and wires and fuel filter have under 1500 miles on them
I don't remember what the plugs and wires were that I put in, but I generally don't buy crap, so I know they are quality parts. It has had this problem before the plugs and wires and filter, but I have never given it much more thought, just kind of dealt with it. It seems to be getting slightly worse.
I do know that one of my problems is that it sits for a month or so at a time of time with out being driven. it is my winter vehicle and I only drive it on the bad days, or when I need to haul something.

I always turn the key, and wait for fuel pressure to build for a few sec.
I also always use quality 89/90 octane NON ETHANOL gas.

I am looking for suggestions, maybe replace a few cheap easy things first.
how do you test the fuel pressure on the 5.0?
any thoughts/ comments/ suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean PCV and IAC

put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. a '99 5.0 should have the return-less fuel system (i think) so the pressure should be around 65 psi at the fuel rail.

Might just be a drained, or now weak battery from sitting so long between uses?

I've had this same problem with my 94 Mustang. Over the years it's had a new fuel pump, injectors, IAT sensor, the throttle body cleaned, still a mystery to me as to why it does this. At this stage of the game everyone has gotten used to the "hold the key" starting procedure.

Bill

Might just be a drained, or now weak battery from sitting so long between uses?

no I am running an optima yellow top, it is fully charged and cranks nice and fast

IAC was pulled off and I cleaned it, it was barely dirty, I was surprised.
I cant seem to get my big hands to locate the PCV and I am looking to get my hands on a pressure gauge to check it at the rail.
any other suggestions?

Back