2001 Mountaineer 5.0 Hard to start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Mountaineer 5.0 Hard to start

irishincali

Reaction score
City, State
Murrieta, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mountaineer V8, AWD
I have a 2001 mountaineer 5.0 thats hard to start after its warm. Has 54,000 miles on it AWD. I have changed the plugs, new fuel filter and had an EGR issue so replaced the EGR valve, sensor, and solenoid. I did the ole starter fluid deal and checked for vacuum leaks but didn't have any luck. Anybody have any ideas? It's gettin worse. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it turn over freely or does it seem to drag a little?

turns over no problem at all. Cranks bout I'mm guessing 15-20 times, kind of glugs a couple times then starts. After that, darn thing runs great. Injectors maybe? Thing sat for 2 years b 4 I got it but I have put darn near 10,000 miles on it since I had it. FYI it sat with fuel in it.

Did you take the old fuel out? I'm surprised it ran at all.

Is it getting fuel while you are cranking it. You'll know because after it starts there would be a cloud.

After it's warm and it won't start, can you hear the fuel pump running?

No cloud after it starts. Where is the fuel pump located? Please don't tell me it's in the tank. Does the pump kick on when the ignition is on or only when starting?

Turn the key to the on position but not cranking. You should hear a hum. And yes I believe its in the tank. I'd have to guess she's not getting fuel or she'd be loaded up after that amount of cranking.

I'd recommend a pressure test to see what pressure the pump is giving. Also the injectors could be gummed up from the old fuel.

Have you run any quality injector cleaner through it recently?

ok, I'm not hearing any humming but of course I just filled the tank, lol. I'll check that again after I burn some gas. I can see about the pressure test, just need to figure out how to do that, any ideas? I haven't run any injector cleaner. Whats the best kind?

Back