5.0 L in a 1st gen X is this possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 L in a 1st gen X is this possible?

Eaglekeeper61

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4X4
Hypothetically, if one wanted to put a 5.0 L V-8 into a 1st gen explorer, would this scenario work?

Buy a wreaked, cheap 2nd gen explorer with the V-8, remove the engine and engine computer, transmission and transmission computer, rear axle and ABS computer (if disc brakes to use for disc brake conversion later). Mate the transmission with the 1st gen’s transfer case, fab up some engine mounts and the transmission cross member, if necessary. Install the engine and transmission computers. I know, very simplified, but can it be done? What would be the challenges? Problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it has been done by a few people, you came to the right place

If you search you'll come up with about a dozen people who have done this. Cheif34 has a very nice 5.0L conversion.

Now put the modular 5.4 liter 3v motor in the 1995-2000 that would be a trick.

I have done the 5.0L swap too...

It's now my Daily Driver...

Do a simple SEARCH...

Ryan

Thanks for the links, and the SEARCH advice, I'll have to admit that I have done a search and while I did find some stuff I really didn't find what I was looking for. I'll also admit that I suck at searches!!! Always have!! Good thing I'm a lot better mechanic than internet searcher, cause I'd go hungry!!!!

so do 1 up, and make a comprehensive full thread about it,
that would be a great thing, you could even add links to the info you found and want to share like others do,,

I'll one day do a 3.5l Ecoboost engine AWD swap into my second gen Sport, just you wait.

I'm surprised that someone has not figured out how to put a PowerStroke into one of these things!! As big of tires as some of you guys are running it seems that even the mighty 302 is not enough. But then again, is there such a thing as "enough" when it comes to 4x4's?

BTW Guardian, I'd love to see the Ecoboost in an old X :O)

The Frame of the Explorer can not handle the torque, AND the weight of one of those engines...

The F-150 can't even handle it....

Ryan

Back