5.0 sounds like a sewing machine, tick tick tick tick | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 sounds like a sewing machine, tick tick tick tick

lowflyingbird

Reaction score
City, State
NewYork
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EX 5.0p
I've heard this alot before. About the valve tick issue with 5.0 motors in Explorers. I have a 98 so its got the "P" heads with the external egr, with a new tube. The threads at the header for the tube really were shot, so there might be an exhaust leak there? But many Explorer 5.0s sound just like mine. Has anyone fixed this problem? I have had many Ford 5.0 motors in various cars that did not sound this way. Those were internal egr. Is it: cruddy valve springs? Not enough lifter preload? Fords "REV" kit I saw on a dismantled motor,ontop of the lifters? The "wonderful" header design?
Please post.
Thanks
Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the same problem.. the sound is on the passenger side.. its def the header
get some new headers from torquemasterheaders.com!!!!! there will not be any sewing machine tick with those in!!!

Torquemonsters will make the tick go away. Or you could get some Ford Racing headers from Summit for half the price. I blame it on poor manifold/gasket design.

while I agree it could be an exhaust leak, my 5.0l in my bronco made a similiar noise and my mechanics always said it was the lifters and not to worry about it. I don;t have the truck anymore so I can't verify that just fyi.

Same issue here. The manifold looks okay but the you can clearly see the gasket blown out in areas around it. Not sure if I'll just do new gaskets or get headers to replace the stock manifolds or trade the truck in.. This is on a 98 AWD 5.0 EB.

conig said:
while I agree it could be an exhaust leak, my 5.0l in my bronco made a similiar noise and my mechanics always said it was the lifters and not to worry about it. I don;t have the truck anymore so I can't verify that just fyi.
Explorers (and broncos) have hydraulic roller lifters and they are silent for the most part.

It's the EGR tube - tiny hole does the tick tick tick. Easy replacement.

Hi,
I thank you all for the input. I did buy a new ford egr tube. The threads on the manifold where it screws on are gone though. I'm going to just buy a new manifold now. Have any of you installed the 1 inch phenolic spacer? I plan on cutting the egr tube and using some catalitic converter hose to join it back ,to take up the 1 inch seperation.
Keith

lowflyingbird said:
Hi,
I thank you all for the input. I did buy a new ford egr tube. The threads on the manifold where it screws on are gone though. I'm going to just buy a new manifold now. Have any of you installed the 1 inch phenolic spacer? I plan on cutting the egr tube and using some catalitic converter hose to join it back ,to take up the 1 inch seperation.
Keith
I used a scrap of egr tube, cut a piece and had it welded at the muffler shop.
I installed a 1" spacer, and a typhoon intake manifold, so I needed 2".

BTW it is your header leaking, under the heat shields. There is a spot that is stainless tube welded to a cast iron sleeve, and it cracks under the stress of torking on the egr nut. FYI

HHMMMMM ??? VERY INTERESTING??? I would have to remove the manifold to check,But, If doing so I might as well replace it. I do some welding myself with stainless always, I could mig the egr tube I guess?
Thankyou
Keith

lowflyingbird said:
HHMMMMM ??? VERY INTERESTING??? I would have to remove the manifold to check,But, If doing so I might as well replace it. I do some welding myself with stainless always, I could mig the egr tube I guess?
Thankyou
Keith
Good luck
I have become an expert at removing and installing that sumbotch
I could do it in 10 minutes now
I'm going to video to prove it, as Robert shipped my Torquemonster Headers today, woo woo
Anyway, my point is the weld won't hold, but you too can become an expert manifold remover if you go with your plan. I've had expert welders try this, and it is some wierd alloy that doesn't behave well.
Torquemonster headers, or cast manifold is the way to go. Get on to better things

Hi,
Thanks for that info in advance. I came across that problem before welding a Ford Contour unibody tin. It was unreal,like there was alot of aluminum in it? looking around the body of it I saw that alot was glued together. I will stick to the egr hose method, its worked in the past in similiar applications.
Thanks
Keith

I was just wondering....what is the ticking noise? and is it damaging to the engine? Or is it just annoying?

I guess I ask because my V8 has the noise so I'm wondering if I should fix it. Its funny, the noise always goes away when I turn the radio up real loud.

i have the same problem.. the sound is on the passenger side.. its def the header
get some new headers from torquemasterheaders.com!!!!! there will not be any sewing machine tick with those in!!!
Or raise the volune on the radio !

Back