• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Starting Problem

V8Pete

Reaction score
City, State
Cupertino, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT 2WD V8
Went to the bank today. 5 minute drive. When I came out (was in there about 10 minutes), the X wouldn't start. It cranked, but it wouldn't fire. Tried 3 times. Waited about 3-4 minutes, tried again, and it fired right up.

This thing's got 163K on it and has never given me any trouble. It's been meticulously maintained, still runs great, and doesn't burn any oil. It even looks great. Is there anything I should be looking at, that might have caused the non-start experience today? It's got about 20K on the current plugs / wires / fuel filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this problem with my '98, come to find out there is a fuel pressure relief valve on the fuel rail that was bad. It would bleed off the fuel pressure when the engine wasn't running, making it hard to start.

looks like a valve stem on a tire........

I'm familiar with the pressure release valve, but I'm 99% sure that's not it; the pressure wouldn't have bled off that fast, and it would have at least fired a couple of times when cranking.

Now the relay - that sounds pretty viable. I'll swap it out, just for insurance. Thanks!

I've had that trouble with mine. Actually stalled out going down the road. It's only done it once, so I haven't worried much about it.

The schraeder valve on the fuel rail will be your friend at some point during your life with your X. Uncap it and give it a press when you have a crank no start and it will let air out of the rail. I stalled out once while idleing with a 1/4 tank. Added gas just in case and still no start. Let the air out of the rail and it was fine.

Back