• Register Today It's free!

5.0 trans. compatibility

Alpinestar03

Reaction score
City, State
Fly Fishing, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 EB 5.0
Ive recently bought a 97 Explorer 5.0 awd with a blown tranny. I have two transmissions i can get a hold of as of right now. Either a 90 5.0 f150 4speed aod or a aod trans out of a 86-87 lincoln town car.

Ive searched and think the f150 tans. would work but on the downside it has 190k miles. The lincoln trans. has lower milage but its in vermont, and im not shure if the wiring harnesses would be anything similar to mine in my vehicle. All help is appreciated.

eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know the 86-87 towncar transmission will not work....tru the bolt pattern is the same but the tail shafts cases will not swap.....i don't think the 90 will work either correct me if im wrong....but harness is different it has the same tail shaft bolt pattern as the 86-87 aod.....so i think your in a pickle.......what tranny do you have? i think you have a the 4r70w.....i would try and find a rebuilt one....or rebuild yours with a shift kit.....

Damn that sucks. But yea its th 4r70w. Idk if i should drebuild it or not, it has no reverse, goes in drive when its in neutral and growls when your moving. i think the reverse chain belt is destroyed.

I assume this is AWD? Any chance your problem may be in the transfer case? i had a 96 AWD 5.0 that was grinding real bad. Turned out it was the transfer case but I didn't have any real driveability issues except for the noise.

What you need is a 4R70w transmission if that is what turns out to be bad.

Damn that sucks. But yea its th 4r70w. Idk if i should drebuild it or not, it has no reverse, goes in drive when its in neutral and growls when your moving. i think the reverse chain belt is destroyed.

like they said....could be the tranny or transfer case---both of which i don't know how 2 diagnose...so i can't help you there sorry

Im almost positive its the tranny. since it has no reverse. It has all forward gears though, but what happend is that the trans cooler had a hole in it and the previous owner ran it dry. It starved the trans so im assuming i wouldnt be able to rebuild it at my shop..

Would a trans-transfer out of a 4.0 work? Im looking to get rid of the awd.

My shop does alot of fords and we have about 4 4.0 explorer parts cars 96 98 03 and an 04. So i have a pretty good selection of parts.

No, the 4.0 trannies haven't had a real good track record for reliability but either way, they won't bolt up to the 5.0 nor is their an adapter for it available. You need a 4r70w tranny and search for 4406 swap or atlas 2 for true 4x4 or 4lo. Or I think that advance adapters has something for swapping of transfer cases?

I have a 99 5.0 AWD, Tranny has the torque converter shudder and has for a while, the other day my OD Off light started flashing at first start then would go after it warmed up. Tranny shifts into all 4 gears just fine, converter does lock up. I added a tube of Dr. Tranny and today the light never flashed. Regardless, I think I'm destined for a rebuild. I was wondering if a 4R70W from a 2000 Crown Vic Interceptor would work as a replacement. I just happen to have a good one laying around. Not sure about the 5.0 .vs 4.6 Bell housing OR if the tails shaft will mate to the transfer case. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nope, bellhousing is different and tailshaft is too.

this just accured to me and to problem is probably already fixed but what about a shift solenoid?

Back