spta97

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 AWD
Hey all,

I did an antifreeze flush and thermostat replacement this weekend. I searched the board and got most of the info but I was too lazy to boil my thermostat to see when exactly it opened. Anyway, I noticed that the temp gauge is now slightly lower (it used to be in the middle of the picture of the themometer on the gauge, now it is down toward the picture of the pan - about 1/16 lower than it was).

Everything seems to be running fine although I had to top it off with some more strait antifreeze because the tester I got showed a little too much water and the overflow was empty the next day. Can other 5.0 owners tell me where their temp gauge sits? I ran it with the heat and then took it for a ride on a hot day with full A/C and it didn't move so I think all is well. I'm just concerned if that is a little too low for the winter.

Thanks!

my 97 5.0's temp guage sits a little below half way most of the time. I am sure you have nothing to worry about unless you get fluctuations while driving on a trip while your engine should be at normal operating tempuratures.

I just replaced my original thermostat at 116k miles with a new motorcraft one, and my temp gauge did drop to the bottom of the icon as well. I also had to add coolant for a few days.

If you keep having to add, you may have a slight leak. Did you put some RTV on the gasket?

V8BoatBuilder said:
I just replaced my original thermostat at 116k miles with a new motorcraft one, and my temp gauge did drop to the bottom of the icon as well. I also had to add coolant for a few days.

If you keep having to add, you may have a slight leak. Did you put some RTV on the gasket?

No, I didn't think to put the RTV on the gasket because there was none there before. When I ran it there didn't appear to be any signs of leaks but I will keep an eye on it.

Thank you both for the replies!

Back