• Register Today It's free!

5.0 valve cover?

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
So I did my plugs and as I was going to the passenger side noticed oil on the valve cover and all the plugs had a bit on the threads. I'm sure these have been in the vehicle for quite some time is the oil from leaking valve cover gasket? I had a bit of a stutter on acceleration which is why I did plugs to begin with.

How much of a job is it? I tackled the plugs and wires myself and have a torque wrench...

Plugs that came out..

IMG_20190421_184704.jpg

Passenger side cover
IMG_20190421_202947.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil on the threads of the spark plugs is not from the VC gasket if the outside body of the spark plug is dry. Oil on the threads of the spark plugs indicates oil entering the combustion chamber, this is usually the result of worn/broken valve stem oil seals (very common).

Ditto, you have a minor leak of some kind outside, plus some oil usage in the chambers. Check around the front of the engine carefully, starting from the bottom and working up. You want to find no coolant leaks at all, and no big dripping from the bottom area. Small leaks are no big problem, but leaking coolant can often be a big deal.

agreed 110% with these guys

Well that is a major relief I am going to continue as planned then! There is a very slight coolant leak somewhere. When I got it last year it was sitting for a while and the overflow tank was empty. I flushed it and refilled and it has made it to about half full after 6 months so it's very slow.

The top 3-4 plugs pictured appear to be oil-fouled, The bottom 4 look normal. None of the plugs look to be very old or worn (the driver's side plugs wear much more than the passenger side plugs due to the wasted spark ignition system).

You getting oil in the driver's side cylinders, It's not from the VC gaskets. It's more likely leaky valve stem seals. Also be sure to replace the PVC valve, as it can cause oil burning.

Back