5.5" lift with f150 spacers, aal, and SOA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.5" lift with f150 spacers, aal, and SOA

audiodude332001

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 5.0
Hey everyone. I am getting a 5.5" lift for the front end of my truck from another member here. It includes 5.5" lift coils, droped axle pivot brackets, extended radius arms, and extended brake lines. Now for the back, I just got a set of pro comp double add a leafs in the mail today which are supposed to give me 2-3", and I have a set of shackles that should give me 1.5-2". So for a total of 3.5-5" in the back. Is this gonna be really noticeable with 5.5" in front, and 3.5-5" in the back? I am contemplating doing a SOA in the rear which would give me about 5.5", and then just leaving the aal in, and taking out the shackles, then adding F150 coil spacers up front to help even things out. Do you think this would look ok? F150 spacers give about 1.5" right? so that would give a total of 7" in the front, and then the rear would have 5.5" of soa, and 2-3" of aal's, for a total of 7.5-8.5 in the rear. What do you all think of this setup?
Thanks,
Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, you've got quite the contemplation. Any less lift in the rear will be very noticable. With the 5.5" front, all you will need is a SOA in the rear and maybe an AAL after the springs settle. That's what I was running for a long time. The double aal will ride very stiff and not flex well. What size tire are you wanting to run? Sway bar quick disconnects are a great addition to the front. Don't worry about running your rear sway bar. I never noticed a difference once it was removed. A set of selectable shocks are worth their weight in gold. Always check your drivelines after the lift; most likely needing to be extended.

I am planning to run 32's or 33's, only because I have 3.27 gears, and its gonna be slow enough as it is. I am not planning on using a front or rear swaybar.

Thanks,
Andy

The 5.5" lift is plenty for 33s. Anymore lift and I don't think it would look good. With the Rancho RS9000 shocks I didn't need the front sway bar but with anything else on the street you really might want one.

I ran shackles and a single AAL in the rear for a while with 3" up front. Looked about right. I hated the stiff rear though. The best thing I ever did was a SOA and add the spacer. I would ditch the AAL and Shackles and do a SOA. Flexes better, rides better, better departure angle. Besides- why would you go higher than 5.5? I am going to run 35s with my 4.5". Mine is too tipsy as it sits with 33s. just my $.02

Wow, I have a double here. I'm currently doing that with the skyjacker lift 6" with the spacers. and yeah i have the shackles and AAL too (skyjacker) and on top of that have a 2" or 3" body lift. now I wanna keep my AAL because my springs were sagging off towards the left and the AAL fixed the problem well. Haven't started the SOA yet but will as soon as it starts to get a little warmer here. I'm also in the middle of having my friend regear my gears for me, cause let me tell u man 3.27's are cool on the highway only but hills climbing, accelerating, just daily driver stuff sucks. I have 32's on it now. So please take this warning if your going to do all of this upgrading with your tires-- please regear your EX, Until I knew that gearing was my problem I went through 3 sets of clutches in one year. I had to rev my engine over 2500 RPM just to get it rolling from start. So please beware.....

Back