• Register Today It's free!

5 lug or 8 lug decision

CheapBa$$tard

Reaction score
City, State
Mapleton, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer, V6
I have a 98 explorer with the 4.0 that I am gathering parts for a SAS. I am trying the decide if I am going to go 5 lug or 8 lug on the axle swap, staying full width.
I have rims and 35" tires already for either one.

The front axle is a HP D44 from a 76 F150. It is set up as a 5 lug right now. I also have 8 lug outers for it.

I have a F150 8.8 that needs rebuilt. I also have an auburn ECTED Limited slip/locker that needs rebuilt for the 8.8. The rebuild kit for the ECTED will be around $350. I will use 5.13 gears. The ECTED never worked well as a locker when it was new. It would not stay locked, neither would the 2nd unit that was replaced under warranty for the same reason. The limited slip worked really well though. I purchased it new in 2006 and it only has about 5,000 miles on it.

The 8 lug rear I am thinking about would be a Sterling 10.25. I would probably use the factory limited slip with a new clutch pack with added friction disks.

I was leaning towards the 8 lug. But this will be an expedition/mild wheeler that I will take my kids out in and it will most likely get used as a daily driver often by me and my kids (3 teenagers). Meaning I would probably drive it if they are not.

This is where the question comes in. Being a light duty wheeler with DD duties and the 4.0/5R55E, am I better off going 5 lug?

All opinions are welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say stay with 5 lug. I basically have the same set up your thinking about, and it been perfectly fine over the last 15+ year's. If you're woried about strength, you can upgrade the axle shafts.

So my project ADD kicked in and I started browsing used axles on facebook marketplace. A friend of mine gave me a set of 1999 Excursion axles. It is a Sterling 10.50 and D50. They are in rough shape and need EVERYTHING replaced on them.

This got me looking at 05+ superduty axles. I have a set already sourced from a local guy who parts our superduty's. He quoted me $1100 with steering tie rods, drag link, track bar and radius arms. I figure I will be close to that after replacing everything on the 1999 10.50 & D50. Basically only the housings are useable.

I am still going to stick with radius arms, track bar & coil springs. The speed sensors should play nice with my computer. Is there anything I am missing that I should know about these axles before I pull the trigger on a set of these?

I also picked up a BW1350M & BW1354M. So, a possible doubler build as well. I have some feelers out about a shaft & adapter plate for that. I will update with what I end up doing.

Oh yeah, I also picked up a set of used 38/14.50/17 MTR's for really cheap,which pushed me in this direction. Cheap impulse buys always end up costing me a lot more money...
B996C3E6-EF1F-4A1A-A006-57DD1F25BCC3.jpeg

F9B8D695-925F-428B-851B-837B43DB55B6.jpeg

9D52B062-2BFD-4FEF-A419-04A9F1F6FBC4.jpeg

Back