• Register Today It's free!

5-spd Sport Auto Tranny questions

syn-

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt - wip
Well, to my ignorance I did not pay attention to the this section of the forum. So I am looking to hopefully get some answers here, the 96 XLT came with what transmission? (my understanding it is a 4-spd auto). I previously owned a SOHC 97 sport, that had a 5-spd auto (I believe the 5r55e, could be wrong). Now, in my quest for mileage out of the OHV, I am looking at picking up a 5-spd auto trans and building it up to par (shift kit and rebuild), so that in the case mine goes or if I build it before I can swap it in and enjoi. Though I do have concerns that things will not just swap right over, from my understanding the trans has a its own ecu or pcm that controls the shifts, so I know I will need to have the corresponding computer. But is this possible? If not, is there another tranny that will work to gain a 5th gear? (without converting to a manual trans)

The short answer is no, it won't work. Too many differences, but it's been hashed over here numerous times before. Can't go from a 4R to a 5R or back.

Back