• Register Today It's free!

5 speed removal trick!!

baddriver

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 XLT
after searching for posts on the subject, i found most had to remove the y pipe to get out the 5 speed. To set the record str8... I got the thing out no problem without removing the y pipe, and no i dont have a body lift...and yes the truck was on jack stands.. bone stocker....

heres the trick....

1. you disconnect the xhaust at the y pipe collecor and remove that short section between there and the muffler section.

2. do not support the motor let it lean on the firewall

3. after unbolting the tranny and k member, let it down slowly, until the tranny is at an angle. use a floor jack under the k-member

4. since the y-pipe is connected to the motor, as you lower the motor, the y pipe will lower as well and this will allow enough clearance for the tranny to slide right out - you may need to rotate the transmission slightly so that the starter hump clears ther y pipe

and whallaaa.. that is the process!

excellent, have fun putting it back in, also with your exhaust leaks :)

remove the Y pipe, it is not saving you any time to not do so, especially when it comes time to stab the clutch.

it saves you time if your bolts are frozen on there, and you have already pb blasted the **** out of them!!

Cut the bolts, replace.

Again wait until you put it all back together, stabbing the trans up over the Y pipe is a PITA. I am just speaking from experience, I too thought I would leave the Y pipe in place, later I learned to remove it, is faster and makes the job much easier.
Basically on a car things were meant to come apart and go together a certain way and in a certain order. Following the order most times will save you headaches.

A long enough lever will break any bolt free

Back