5R55E Gear Ratio - Conflicting Info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Gear Ratio - Conflicting Info

97XEB

Reaction score
City, State
,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB
Yo all,

Couple of questions for those more knowledgeable than I:

I've got a 1997 X EB Four Door. I'm fairly certain she's got the 5R55E 5-speed transmission - how can I verify?

With 93K miles on her, the trans is definitely gonna need some work soon as she (1) slips when I mash the GO pedal, (2) sometimes after I've passed slower traffic and let-off the gas >> overrevs and (3) rolls too much when I put her in Park and take my foot off the brake.

I've been doing my research to help me determine what to do, but need some help.
- If I want to replace it with something better - what's out there? Is the 700R4 worth the swap? I don't think they make an adapter to the 4.0SOHC motor yet? (Might not be a feasible option.)

- If I want to get it rebuilt with performance upgrades, what are my options? Does anyone specialize in 5R55E rebuilds and/or are there shift / performance kits available?

Finally, what are my gear ratios? I pulled the following from the 2003 4Wheel & Off-Road Explorer NBX review >>
Type: 5-speed automatic overdrive
Model: 5R55E
Ratios: First: 3.22:1; Second: 2.32:1; Third: 1.55:1; Fourth: 1.00:1; Fifth: 0.71:1; Reverse: 3.07:1

These don't seem to jive with other research I've done...these seem like better ratios - at least a better / lower 1st gear.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those ratios look more like the 5R55W which is in the 2002+

5R55E is:

The 700R4 adapters should work with the SOHC also (same bolt pattern as 4.0 OHV). It'd cost you more for the swap, but then it should make rebuilds down the line less expensive. However its also going to make your truck very custom, which could be a good or a bad thing depending on what the plans are for it.

Unless you plan on holding onto the truck forever I'd just get the 5R rebuilt by a reputable shop.

Personally, I'm really happy with the 5R55E. I think it shifts extremely smoothly up and down, especially for a truck. I'm happy with it completely, no problems yet at 91,000 miles. My only complaint is that at 70 mph, its over 2500 rpms's ,even with 3.73 gears. But that's more of a product of my OHV's lack of power then the tranny.

and actually 2500 is a pretty good power band range for that engine.... I understand you maybe liking it closer to 2000 on the flat....but 2500 ain't all THAT bad.

Can someone clarify what yrs had the 5r55e and the 5r55w?

I stand to be corrected but I believe the 5r55W came out in the 2002/03 model year.

what is the 700R4? i know its a trans...whats so special?

ya 1st gear sucks in these if i floor it from a stop it will be going 60mph at redline when it shifts

r37ribution said:
what is the 700R4? i know its a trans...whats so special?
The 700R4 is a GM trans. Cheaper to rebuild, easy to upgrade (came behind many V8's), and has a 1st gear of 3.01

Jefe,

As always, thanks for the reply and the spot-on info!!!

I don't hate my 5R55E, but at 92+K she slips when I mash the go-pedal on the highway and she rolls a little too much for comfort I take my foot off the brake in Park. I'm guessing that it's just a matter of time before she is due for a rebuild, at which point as long as I'm spending the money I'd like to get a lower first gear and rebuild / replace with something stronger / more performance oriented. I guess you could say I'm gearing up on my options now.

Hopefully, someone will figure out how to stick 5R55W gears in the 5R55E case, or bolt the 5R55W behind the 6-cyl, 4Ltr SOHC.

Just to add some numbers to the mix, the official ford designation for my 03 tranny is
A5LDE-NR/5R44/55E, mine has a dipstick so I guess I have the 5R55E, or maybe it's a 44E, somebody must know

Actually.... there IS some work being done on moving 5R55W gearing backwards into the 5R55E and A4LD. Brain's Project Frankentranny took 5R back into the A4LD. (And is ongoing and frankly one of the more amazing theads I have seen on this board). Based on HIS research, I have procured a 5R55W.... now if someone wants to donate a 5R55E I'd be happy to extend Brain's ideas into swapping 5R55W guts into the 5R and 4R predecessors (and the A4ld of course which is the ultimate project here). I am also seriously interested in the 5R55N and 5R55S.... once this one is all figgered out, it is on to the 4R70W. Wouldn't mind looking into 700R4's someday.

The A5LD....that made me laugh (of course everything is kind of funny when you are taking painkillers ; ) )

I've still got the 5R55E case and brains (valve body) along with all of the guts that I ripped out of the A4LD. With the guts from a 5R55W, I don't know what else you would need to see if it would work in a 5R55E case (although I don't know how the computer would act with different gear ratios...maybe an "incorrect gear ratio" code being set).

You can modify the 5R to get more power through it and last longer (more plates in the clutch packs), but I don't know of anybody that has done it except for myself. It will take a few percent off the MPG though.

Don't worry about it rolling too far with it in park....there are only so many notches that the parking prawl can fit into and it has to roll one way or another until it lines up and drops into place.

Hello, about the rolling in park to find a gear, I have a 98 Mountaineer V8 which has rolled twice, after being left in park. Both times it was on a slight incline, and it rolled about eight feet the first time, the second time it went about twelve feet.
I suspect someone before me put it in park while it was still moving. Some of the teeth must be damaged. I had previously always used the parking brake, but a friend had gotten me out of that habit.
I again now always use the parking brake.

I am also wanting something better than the 5R55E ratios. The 5R55W and 5R55S are wide ratio transmissions, with a first gear ratio just like in a manual trans.

How similar are the PCM transmission functions between the 5R55E(V6) and the 5R55W(V8)? I am getting a 99 Limited 4x4 chassis, and I wouldn't mind having the wider ratio 5R55W.
The 5R55E is not available with an AWD transfer case. Is the bolt pattern and output shaft the same on these 4WD tailhousings? Could an AWD transfer case from an AODE Explorer bolt on?
Looking for ideas, thanks guys.
Don

Cannot speak to the PCM issues. I will have pics soon of the bolt patterns for the 5R55W and the AWD transfer case (buying both)....

I beleive they changed the transmission output flange with the 5R55W and maybe even the 5R55S. I don't know if the output shaft has changed, or if an earlier tailshaft housing would fit on the new case.

As for PCM changes. You'd need to have it programmed somehow for the new gear ratios so that it would shift correctly and not throw a code that a ratio was incorrect.

5R55E to V8 302.

Does anyone know if it´s possible to set up the 5R55E into the V8 302?

best regards.

Carlos

the bolt pattern is not the same, which is why we cannot bolt up a 4R70W (the 302 trans) to the 4.0 as many of us wish we could. The trans behind the 302 is MUCH stronger and has been in production decades longer. The 4r70w is a truck trans, same one behind the 5.0 in the F150 in the 90s. It was using in a number of other applications as well, no reason to downgrade from it.

4r100 or 4r70w???

Thanks r37ribution, for your prompt response, I will keep that in mind, for my conversion, there a lot of concerns about this swap, that is one, wich transmission choose, does anyone know which transmission can fit the 302? for example I have read a lot here and almost everybody says about the 4R70W, where can I find more info about it for example if it needs a new PCM, or if the 4R100 has the same bolt pattern?

:)

Thx in advance to all of you for your anwers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back