5R55E - Help, it doesn't move in any gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E - Help, it doesn't move in any gear

Campo

Elitus Explorus
Reaction score
City, State
White City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4x4
Howdy all.
It's been awhile since I posted, but I do lurk. :D

Truck:
99 XLT
55R55E Tranny
4.0L SOHC
4x4
99K miles

Here's my problem.

Did some stop and go driving and parking to multiple stores today with no problems. Parked, went into the store, come out and the truck wouldn't start. Acted like the battery was dead, but all the lights were bright and full power to everything. When I tried to start it again, it was slow cranking, but it fired, ran for 10-15 sec then stalled. Pressed the gas, cranked it and it cranked normally and fired right up, idled properly. Put it in D and nothing, put it in R and nothing. Tried all the gears and nothing. I shut it off, checked all the fuses under the hood, side of dash and all are good.

Background:
Purchased in 2001 w/30K miles, never changed tranny fluid or filter, it's never slipped or has had any problems. I do have a remote filter that get's changed ever 8-9K miles with oil change (all mobile 1 synthetic). No (zero) mods have been done 5yrs. Only things done are regular maint.

I have never had a problem with the engine or tranny in this. Since I live on dirt/gravel roads, my ABS light comes on about every 6 months, but I just spray behind the wheels real good and it goes away without reseting the computer. The ABS light has been on for 4 weeks now since I haven't had time to wash it yet. But I don't think that would be the problem.

The only codes that I get are P0500 which is for the VSS (ABS light).
NO OTHER CODES.

The scanner being used is a Snap-on multiple ODB scanner that my brother uses (he's a mechanic)
I'm going to try and find another scanner, since I read one post that stated MAC and Snap-on scanners don't read all or any of the codes for transmissions (this one supposedly does).

It doesn't make any noise, or hesitation like it want's to move. It acts like it's in neutral. When placed in park it doesn't move (as expected), when placed in any other gear the vehicle can be pushed forward or backwards regardless of being in R, D 2 or 1.

Well I hope this is enough detail. I just don't know where to start. I'm not a tranny guy so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks All

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it have enough transmission fluid? Did you check to see if the reverse lights turn on when it goes into reverse? If not, maybe the DTRS could be the culprit. You could have bad valve body gaskets, and loose valve body bolts. If this would be an older transmission, I would suspect the Z link (which this transmission does not have). The bands could be out of adjustment or the front pump gears could be shot. Check the pressure with a 0-300 PSI gauge.

Thanks for the quick reply BrooklynBay

Yes it does have enough fluid, which is not bright red, but it's not brown, it's the in between color on one of the pics I seen in one of the tranny posts here, and it smells normal for tranny fluid, not burnt.

For the pressure test, where do I put the gauge? On the fluid cooler line?

And the reverse lights do work

You have a fitting on the transmission which is a plug. This gets unscrewed to connect the gauge. There is another plug for testing the EPC. # 10 in my list of useful threads has a couple of links on how to test the pressure. # 34 has this chart:
trannyfluid.jpg

Well I haven't done a pressure test on it yet.

My brother thinks it may be something electrical, so we've been testing all the relays and connectors first.

I can tell you the relays for the transfer case under the dash are a b!tch to get to.

We've been following the testing procedure on the 99 Ford Truck Tech Service CD. It's making us test everything related to transmission and transfer case from the PCM and GEM to/through all the relays, etc..

So far nothing is bad.

Is it possible that the transmission pump seized and then a shaft broke or something? The no start on the engine followed by no transmission activity sounds like something might have been bound up and then either broke or blew a seal completely when the engine did turn. Just a wag.

Well we did the pressure test tonight and it didn't read anything on either port hole.

After running it for awhile we noticed the tranny fluid became darker and smelled burnt. It didn't when I checked it immediately after the problem. But the engine ran less than 1min before we put it on the trailer and towed it home.

We suspect that the TC may be what caused the initial hard starting and may of bound up then burnt up.

So I'm in the process of removing the transmission to have the TC checked and look at the tranny pump.

I'm hoping to get off that cheap.

While I have it out I'd like to get a VB from Glacier. Does he still build them?

Thanks for all the leads and insite.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Oh, when it was cold the engine rpm did drop when placed in R or D like it was going into gear, but it didn't move and no pressure...

Back