5r55e interchangability - ohv / sohc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e interchangability - ohv / sohc

BradR

Reaction score
City, State
Novi, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EX 4.0 OHV
Hey all, I cracked my 99's transmission housing so I need to replace it, I have the 5r55e and a 4.0 ohv, and I just can't seem to find any transmissions that had my same combo, but I have found a lot of SOHC engines with a 5r55e..

So my question is, can I use a 5r55e from a 2000 SOHC in my 99 OHV?

I don't want to attempt and fail.

I had found a transmission brand new on a shipping crate, but after looking up the numbers it was for a 95/96 which is a 4r55e? I think, and that won't work for me. so if anyone needs one of those, the guy is only asking $500, I've seen it, and it is brand new.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the 5r is the same for either the OHV or the SOHC.

Thats a good price for a 4r, but it wont do you any good.

x2 the only time you cant use different years trans is if you have a 97. you can use a 97 trans in a 98 and up, but not a 98 and up trans in a 97 truck.

Yeah, thanks for the information guys, really do appreciate it, it was one of those, "I'm not really sure if that'll work." moments. lol.

Thats a good price for a 4r, but it wont do you any good.

Are you sure about that info? The bell housing is different in OHV and SOHC.
From what I have read .

Are you sure about that info? The bell housing is different in OHV and SOHC.
From what I have read .

Yes. I'm 100% sure of that. The SOHC and the OHV have 7 of 8 bolts that are in the same place. Viewed from the rear its the top right bolt that is moved by about 1-1.5". The 5r has 9 bolt holes in the bell housing. 8 of them are used on either engine and one is left open.

Heres a pic i took of a 5r. (As viewed from the front) The top left bolt is for the OHV, the one a little lower and to your left is used for the SOHC. The reason for the bolt being moved is that the SOHC has a timing chain right there.

picture.php

Another way to think about this is that: both the OHV and the SOHC must have compatible bell housing patterns because the manual M5 transmission was used on both engines.

Hey all, I cracked my 99's transmission housing so I need to replace it, I have the 5r55e and a 4.0 ohv, and I just can't seem to find any transmissions that had my same combo, but I have found a lot of SOHC engines with a 5r55e..

So my question is, can I use a 5r55e from a 2000 SOHC in my 99 OHV?

I don't want to attempt and fail.

I had found a transmission brand new on a shipping crate, but after looking up the numbers it was for a 95/96 which is a 4r55e? I think, and that won't work for me. so if anyone needs one of those, the guy is only asking $500, I've seen it, and it is brand new.

Thanks in advance.
Brand new how is that possible? I have a 2000 sohc,4×4 4.0 6cyl automatic , the cheapest I seen on rebuilt was like over 2grand , can u send me the info ,Dj32jr@aol.com ty

Brand new how is that possible? I have a 2000 sohc,4×4 4.0 6cyl automatic , the cheapest I seen on rebuilt was like over 2grand , can u send me the info ,Dj32jr@aol.com ty
It won’t work for you.

Back