5R55e not downshifting | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55e not downshifting

Here we go again.
I sold the 5r55S that I bought by mistake. Last week I found a guy parting out his 99 so I got the trans, cost me $200. I thought I might have it gone through before I put it in so I went to talk to a local tranny guy. He says he wont do it unless he can do the whole job: remove my trans, rebuild it and re-install it. He's worried about the liability, something like that. And his bill would be close to three grand. Not gonna happen.

So I was looking at my latest purchase and I noticed it has a little blue "re-manufactured" tag on it....hmmmm. I went to see the guy I bought this trans from this morning to help him sort out some parts he wants to eBay and to look at the mileage on the Explorer he's parting out, turns out his has only 143,000 miles on it. This all looks pretty good to me, if this is the true mileage then I'll just clean this trans up, put in my new valve body and a new torque converter and use it.

Well, I look under the hood of the parts car and discover its an OHV engine!!! The sticker on the core support clearly says SOHC so someone must have done a swap. So here's my question - I know the trans will fit but am I going to have to change any electronics?

Crap, Im gettin tired of this. Meanwhile my Explorer continues to shift fine with a blown up bearing somewhere inside.

Back