5r55e p0732 & p0735

Alexjordan22

Reaction score
City, State
Issaquah, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Hey all,

Ive been fighting a 2-3 flare and swapped valve bodies with a used one I got from a local trans shop to see if the vb itself would make any difference. Well, the 2-3 shift flare is gone it seems (at least so far) but a new problem arose.

I never really test drove the truck on the freeway before so i'm not sure if this is a new problem or not, but once up to highway speeds the trans doesn't seem to shift into overdrive.

I got those two codes which are incorrect gear 2 and incorrect gear 5. This is what I've done:

Trans rebuild kit
New TC
New EPC
Superior shift kit
New Bands
Bonded plate gasket
Ford Blow off kit

That's all I can remember for now. I've given it everything that has fixed the flare for others, but now I've got these codes. The shift solenoids ohmed better on the used vb than on my stock one, but my guesses at this point are either a shift solenoid or the servos on the side of the case. Either way....anyone else have any experience with these two codes coming up together? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The OD or front band applies 2nd and 5th (OD). It could be a valve body problem. But probably the front (OD) servo or you didn't install the OD band correctly.

I was kind of thinking it was a servo/band issue. I have a new OD servo coming tomorrow morning from Ford, so I'll swap that out and reset my band adjustment and hope for the best I suppose. Thanks.

Well, I got both new servos installed and the bands adjusted properly and no change. Still no overdrive on the freeway and the light came on. I had a few good solenoids lying around so I swapped them all out, still no change.

ANYBODY have any ideas??

If the OD Sprag is bad or installed incorrectly it could cause this problem.

Well the trans was gone through and the hard parts were all still good to use, plus this problem didn't happen before I put on a used valve body to see if it would fix my flare, which it did. But now it has this new problem so im thinking its something to do with this new vb.

I didn't swap the TCC, which thinking about it now I should have. Can a bad TCC cause this to happen with overdrive?

In the valve body there are a few pins that can fall out and they are installed incorrectly they can cause problems. There is one pin that I know if it is not correct it will cause the overdrive servo not to apply. This causes a loss of overdrive in the 4R55E and a loss of 2nd and 5th in the 5R55E.

I would inspect the valve body carefully especially the cooler limit valve and the thermostat bypass valve, items number 29 - 36 valve train, number 6 pin should be in the middle part of the plug number 34.

Also you can air check the servos operation with the valve body off.

Disregard the color in this image, its not the valve train in question, it is just a image I grabbed of the interwebs:D

5r55VB_CoastClutchValve_01b_zps23a59984.jpg

Also valve number 27 which is the 1-2/4-5 shift valve if stuck can cause loss of 2nd and 5th speed or if the solenoid #20 in the above is bad.

what did it take for you to get you p0732 and p0734 fixed. im have recently came up\

Back