5R55E possible issues found - Need thoughts/peer review | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E possible issues found - Need thoughts/peer review

Fredness

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tejas!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Part I starts with the trans failing at 70,000 miles in August of 2010: Complete rebuild (under warranty), CVB Valve Body with SONNAX Mods and Superior Shift Kit and all was good for 80,000 miles.

Part II started in December of 2017 - essentially, every time I've dropped the pan to replace the filter, the valve body bolts are loose.
Every time they have been torqued (3 steps) to spec and 30,000 miles later, they're loose again.
This time it only lasted 4,000 miles before the trans failed with a CEL, flashing O/D Off and the following codes:
P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0735 Gear 5 Incorrect Ratio Code
P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

Driving shows 1-2 flare/stumble, and no TC lockup.

The plan was to replace the parts in order of cost:
Solenoid - Replaced the TCC Solenoid, same issues, same codes
Separator Plate Gaskets - This procedure
TC Seal and TC

The separator plate was a bonded updated part with all the mods, so I ordered another, modified it and installed it with the used filter (4K) since the insides of the trans was spotless and all magnets were clean.

This time I used ARP fasteners on all the valve body bolts, cleaned with carburetor cleaner, blue Loc-Tite and torqued to 3 steps. I let the trans sit with the pan off for 24 hours to cure.

Test drive was 100% - maybe even better than previous.

So, has anyone else noticed loose valve body hardware?
Is retorquing causing a problem or did it prolong the life?
Has anyone noticed stretched or failed bolts on the A4LD/4R/5R family?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found gaskets blown out in several locations and bolts that had “lost their torque.”

Ah, yes...
Looks like there is something here...

Ooo... Lots of lookers!
That's promising... ;)

I have seen loose valve body bolts before and I do think they contribute to the gaskets blowing out and other premature failures, I have noticed loose valve body bolts with this family of transmissions over the years and others as well, Toyota, Ford and some of today's Chryslers come to mind. Maybe the temperature cycles and gasket crush over time allows them to work loose or at least end up not as tight as once torqued.
I have never dealt with recurring problems due to the loosening of the valve body bolts or had to go to the extent you did to help prevent it so I find your problem a little odd, I just torqued them down and off it goes.
I have seen over tightened bolts cause valves to hang, the Ford AOD could loose 4th gear due to the corner filter bolt bing over tightened.

6/2019 update:
Still on the road, no issues!
Trans shift beautifully.
No codes, no CEL, no flare.

Back