5R55E speed sensor problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E speed sensor problem

wana461

Reaction score
So I have the 5R55E transmission. Last year my o/d light was stuck on and shifting hard 2nd to 3rd. Read up and heard about the valve body. Seemly fixed itself the light went away and is shifting better. I'm assuming some gunk must have helped to clog the problem abit for now. But my main problem is now I have no speedometer. It will work for about 3-5minutes then make a clunk and stop working. Still drives but having no speedo is not good for someone with a heavy foot lol. I have seen somewhere that this is the speed sensor inside the transmission. Is it possible to just pull the tranny and replace this, at the same time fixing whatever else is wrong with the transmission? Any ideas or suggestions are very much welcomed, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what year?

I think the speedometers in early 2nd generation Explorers are driven by the vehicle speed sensor. My 2000 speedometer is driven by the 4WABS module. Does your cruise control work when your speedometer doesn't? If so, your speedometer problem may be in the instrument cluster.

I have a 2000 XLS. And I have not tried the cruise control because I have not yet fixed the recall on it but will definitely try it to see if it works or not. I know when I have used it in the past the light hasn't come on in the cluster but never attributed this to anything more then a bulb out

Well I tried the cruise control and it still worked

Fuse check?

If your cruise control works then the vehicle speed signal generated by the 4WABS is functional. There is a solid state module in the instrument cluster that receives power from two sources. Check fuse 25 and fuse 11 in the central junction box.

When I tested the cruise control the speedo was working at the time. Went out for about an hour and the speedo worked the whole time today. I'll check those fuses and next time the speedo stops working I'll try cruise again

So I've noticed that if my speedo stops working the cruise does not work as mentioned earlier and if I stop and restart my truck it starts to work again.

vehicle speed signal receivers

The vehicle speed signal generated by the 4WABS also goes to the PCM to allow it to determine when to shift the transmission. If the signal from the 4WABS was intermittent I suspect the PCM would detect it. Do you have any DTCs? The connector for the cruise control (C171) is independent of the connector for the PCM (C115) and both of them are independent of the connector (C146) for the instrument cluster, radio, GEM, message center, compass/outside air temp that also receive the VSS signal. Your symptoms are difficult to diagnose.

Back