5R55S shift shudder between 3rd and 4th gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S shift shudder between 3rd and 4th gear

06EBMG

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer EB
As the title states, I have been getting a shift shudder between 3rd and 4th gear on my Ex. This happens once the transmission gets up to operating temp. When cold the shift is noticeable but it does not shudder. If I let off of the accelerator just before the shift I do not feel it at all. Once warmed up, if I need to accelerate quickly it will shudder more noticeably on the downshift/kick-down. (Enough that the whole truck shudders)
I have been researching the A1JE solutions servo bore repair. From what I have read so far, it does not seem that this would fix this particular issue. I am posting this to see if anyone out there has experienced this same issue and tried the A1JE servo bore kit to repair it.
Assuming that this would not fix/Band-Aid my issue, it would seem that I have some VB wear and/or a possible solenoid issue. For the record, I do NOT have any CEL's, codes stored, etc. which is why I do not think the solenoids are having an issue. All of the other shifts are normal with no flares or slipping. The only thing that I have done so far is drain the fluid from the pan and top off with fresh fluid.
I might go ahead and drop the pan and replace the filter. Maybe I have some "junk" stuck in the VB that some fresh fluid and it's additive package can break loose. Of course, this may also break loose the "glue" that is holding my current transmission together, which is why I went with the drain and fill so as to not "shock" the system too much. Also, the shift shudder was there before the drain and fill.
Thanks for reading this. I am looking for some suggestions/insight from those that have had a similar issue. If I do have to rebuild/replace the transmission, I am going to go with a streetsmart transmission. Good reviews both on the web and this site. Reasonable price with a good warranty as well. Hoping I can nurse this one along for another year before I drop the money. Time will tell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As the title states, I have been getting a shift shudder between 3rd and 4th gear on my Ex. This happens once the transmission gets up to operating temp. When cold the shift is noticeable but it does not shudder. If I let off of the accelerator just before the shift I do not feel it at all. Once warmed up, if I need to accelerate quickly it will shudder more noticeably on the downshift/kick-down. (Enough that the whole truck shudders)
I have been researching the A1JE solutions servo bore repair. From what I have read so far, it does not seem that this would fix this particular issue. I am posting this to see if anyone out there has experienced this same issue and tried the A1JE servo bore kit to repair it.
Assuming that this would not fix/Band-Aid my issue, it would seem that I have some VB wear and/or a possible solenoid issue. For the record, I do NOT have any CEL's, codes stored, etc. which is why I do not think the solenoids are having an issue. All of the other shifts are normal with no flares or slipping. The only thing that I have done so far is drain the fluid from the pan and top off with fresh fluid.
I might go ahead and drop the pan and replace the filter. Maybe I have some "junk" stuck in the VB that some fresh fluid and it's additive package can break loose. Of course, this may also break loose the "glue" that is holding my current transmission together, which is why I went with the drain and fill so as to not "shock" the system too much. Also, the shift shudder was there before the drain and fill.
Thanks for reading this. I am looking for some suggestions/insight from those that have had a similar issue. If I do have to rebuild/replace the transmission, I am going to go with a streetsmart transmission. Good reviews both on the web and this site. Reasonable price with a good warranty as well. Hoping I can nurse this one along for another year before I drop the money. Time will tell.
My explorer have this issue. When accelerating from 40-60km

My 2006 V6 has had a shift flare on 2-3 and a shudder between 3-4 under half throttle or more for OVER 5 years now. Just hit 163,000 miles on original trans

My 2006 V6 has had a shift flare on 2-3 and a shudder between 3-4 under half throttle or more for OVER 5 years now. Just hit 163,000 miles on original trans
My 07 4.0 does the same thing, it’s at 182k on the original trans and I was about to replace the solenoid very soon but I’m hoping someone has an answer about this issue.

My ex does this and the ford tech says it shift shock. They tried draining all transmission oil but still the same, no new resolution yet

Same concern on a 2003 LS have not repaired yet. Did you repair your concern?

Back