5R55W rebuild....will this cover it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W rebuild....will this cover it

dablack

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
So I'm taking my 5R55W to a trans guy for a rebuild.

Here is what he is replacing:

torque converter , clutches, bushings, bands, servos, solenoid pack, hard parts, pump flow valve.

This is for $1500 if I drop the trans off at his shop. He says it will only take him 1/2 a day to do.

How does the price for what he is doing sound? Any questions I should be asking him before I let him loose?

thanks
Austin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure that he resleeves the servo bores, and uses aftermarket servos with O rings. They cost a lot more than the OEM servos but it's worth it. Replace the solenoid block with a new or remanufactured unit, and not a used one. Some come with a lifetime warranty. Flush the cooler with cooler cleaner spray before you reinstall the transmission. How many miles did the transmission have?

The trans has 185k miles on it and is actually running fine. I'm the original owner and have always changed the fluid every 30k miles. The only reason I'm rebuilding it is because the 4.0 dropped a valve and I'm putting a 05 or newer mustang 4.0 long block in. I figured now would be a good time to have the trans rebuilt too.

I saw a post with those aftermarket servos with O rings. I thought they were just for worn out servo bores. Would they really be better with the new resleeved bores?

thanks
Austin

Ford has steel servos running at a slight angle inside of aluminum bores. The hard steel wears down the aluminum bore at a slight angle. The bore will eventually get an oblong hole instead of a straight hole. The new sleeve fixes this issue. The servo with an O ring has a soft surface making contact with the bore to help prevent future wear plus is makes a tighter seal. The servo bores will last much longer since there is less wear. Ford should contact that aftermarket company, and buy the idea from them.

OK! Sounds good. I will make sure he uses them even if I have to buy them myself.

If I had more time I would love to do it myself. I've rebuilt a C6 but that is pretty simple. We are building a house right now so no time....

Back