5r55w slips 2nd and 3rd harsh shift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55w slips 2nd and 3rd harsh shift

tanklynbjj

Reaction score
City, State
houston tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
2002 ford explorer slips between 2nd and 3rd harsh engage. tranny rebuilt 120000 miles ago. now has 150000 miles. found metal dust/sludge in oil pan. bands look ok. advice appreciated.

tested selenoid pack. no short circuits. will try to rebuild see if that fixes it.

found metal dust/sludge in pan video will show you. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh yeah. over drive light does not flash. on one run i turned the od off and od light started flickering but not flashing. i tested the tranny harness at the pcm and everything checks out ok.

I know this is a little off topic. But would it harm anything if you unplug the solenoid pack and start the vehicle? And then switch to drive? I was told by another person to try that and that would help diagnose my issue. Thanks

couldnt tell ya josh

I know this is a little off topic. But would it harm anything if you unplug the solenoid pack and start the vehicle? And then switch to drive? I was told by another person to try that and that would help diagnose my issue. Thanks

Unplugging the solenoid module will isolate them with respect to both control (by computer), and power, which makes the operate. Starting the engine under those conditions will build up the transmission's hydraulic pressure, but no action will be possible, no initial engagement into any gear can occur, and the computer has no control over operating hydraulic pressure.

Would it harm anything? My guess is no, but what the hell would you expect to achieve through this exercise? imp

I recently had the same problem with a 2003 that I bought at auction. I cleaned the solenoid bushings per the youtube video. They were slightly sticky. My pan looked much worse than yours. The truck has 160000 miles and i do not believe it was ever changed. Still had no third gear. I then ordered the servo bore fix with the o-rings for both intermediate and o/d servos. After installing them, the truck shifted fine. I didn't have tags but I was able to drive about five miles at various speeds and shifted well. The bores seemed to have a lot of slop when I removed the old servos. I have read on here that they barely move when trial fitted, but mine moved as far as you could move them until the seals prevented further movement. I was afraid that the o-rings would not be able to take up all of the out-of-round in the small bore. But it seems to work fine.

Back