5R55W Tranny lubed for life & no dipstick? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W Tranny lubed for life & no dipstick?

EasyRhino

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4
I did a search and did not find any clues on this one, so I'll start.

My (wife's) '02 limited has no tranny dipstick. In the generic Ford Scheduled Maintenance Guide, it recommends changing tranny fluid every 30,000 miles for the AX4S, 4F50N, 4R100, and 4F27E trannies (no idea what cars those are on).

But in the back under "Special Operating Conditions (trailer tow, heavy commercial use, etc.)" it states to change the tranny fluid every 30,000 miles.

The truck now has 29,000 miles and occassionally under full throttle the tranny seems as if it is stumbling. Just once, when it was brand new, it did not immediately engage drive when re-starting from a long hot drive.

It is going in to the dealer tomorrow. The question is, would you have the tranny fluid changed?

And how do they do both a flush and a filter change? Anyone else had this done?

If you stayed this long, thanks, folks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well to answer the tranny question, the AX4S/N are front-wheel drive trans-axles used in the Taurus and other Ford FWD cars using a V-6. The 4F50N and 4F27E are other FWD trans-axles (That's the F means of course) I do not know about. Maybe they are Mazda transmissions, or are just renamed AX4N/S since they follow Ford's new scheme for naming transmissions. This is how Ford's transmission names work.

First Digit: Number of forward speeds
Second Digit: Front or Rear drive
Next 2-3 Digits: Amount of torque (Multiplied by 10) that the transmission can take
Last Digit: "E" for electronic shift, "N" for non-synchronized, "S" for synchronized, "W" for a wide ratio electronic.

The 4R100 is a re-named E4OD heavy duty automatic used in the larger Ford trucks. It is in turn based upon the C6. The 4R100 is used in the F-150 Lightning. Yes, if you do the math (Add a 0 to 100 ;) ), it can take 1,000 lbs/ft of torque. :eek:

I have heard about the 5R55W being non-servicable. Ford said they put it through rigorous testing so you wouldn't have to bother with the transmission, but we know how much Ford knows about building a transmission. ;) It's not that Ford is incredibly stupid, it's just that the old French built C3 these things are built off, is junk.

I would try and get the fluid changed. Don't believe anything about any non-servicable transmission. The transmission still has mechanical components, and it will still break down randomly. You cannot predict how long a machine will last. You might as well plant yourself down in the Kentucky Derby and make sure you have an unlimited bank account.

(Note: Now that I think about it, yes the 4F50N is a re-named AX4N. They re-named it because the ATX series of trans-axles sucks and everybody knows it.)

Hey Majisto, what is the difference between the electronic and wide ratio transmissions? Thanks for this information on deciphering the transmission code, i found it very interesting and did not know it before.

Originally posted by espnfreak
Hey Majisto, what is the difference between the electronic and wide ratio transmissions? Thanks for this information on deciphering the transmission code, i found it very interesting and did not know it before.
Electronic usually just means they take the ratio of the non-electronic version and removed the TV cable and put in a computer controlled hydraulic system...don't ask me about how transmissions shift because I don't know that part too well. ;)

The Wide ratio just means the forward speeds are taller. You will get less acceleration, but better mileage. It may be the other way around, but I think that is right.

Long live the E4OD :D

What's next a "lubed for life engine":rolleyes:

First gear in the 4R70W has a nice kick due to the higher numeric ratio verses the AODE. IIRC.

My wife's Malibu is set up EXACTLY this same way....The tranny has a fill port (barely accessible) but no freakin dipstick to check levels or anything...makes no sense to me....

They say the tranny fluid is good for 150k miles....ok, so what then?? Trash the tranny and buy a new one??

<grin>

Still looking for an answer myself...

DZ

Originally posted by EasyRhino
I did a search and did not find any clues on this one, so I'll start.

My (wife's) '02 limited has no tranny dipstick. In the generic Ford Scheduled Maintenance Guide, it recommends changing tranny fluid every 30,000 miles for the AX4S, 4F50N, 4R100, and 4F27E trannies (no idea what cars those are on).

But in the back under "Special Operating Conditions (trailer tow, heavy commercial use, etc.)" it states to change the tranny fluid every 30,000 miles.

The truck now has 29,000 miles and occassionally under full throttle the tranny seems as if it is stumbling. Just once, when it was brand new, it did not immediately engage drive when re-starting from a long hot drive.

It is going in to the dealer tomorrow. The question is, would you have the tranny fluid changed?

And how do they do both a flush and a filter change? Anyone else had this done?

If you stayed this long, thanks, folks.

Malibu...which wonderful GM trans-axle is in that hunk of junk? My Buick had a dipstick, but the trans-axle didn't last long enough for me to check it. ;)

If it's a 4T40E, you have my condolences.

Dayum, Majisto, do you know a little about trannies, or what?

Originally posted by EasyRhino
Dayum, Majisto, do you know a little about trannies, or what?
Nah, I don't really know a lot, but when you and your family own Ford automatics all your life, it comes in handy to know what the models are, and how they work. ;) I still love 'em though. :D

da Malibu

Dunno....its a 98 Malibu with the 4cylinder....

I have seen some folks online with problems....but I dunno....the car has 75k on her and runs like a top (knock wood, sprnkle salt over right shoulder)....

DZ

Originally posted by Majisto
Malibu...which wonderful GM trans-axle is in that hunk of junk? My Buick had a dipstick, but the trans-axle didn't last long enough for me to check it. ;)

If it's a 4T40E, you have my condolences.

Install a dipstick?

Is the new transmissions a different casting or can you put a dipstick in one from an older one?

I think the dipsticks moved from the transmissions to the deskjobs at Ford ;)

Re: Install a dipstick?

I agree on the dipsticks part.... :)

I dunno...I am not familiar with this transaxle.....cant seem to locate anywhere a dipstick "should" go.....it is so tight under that hood though I may have missed the spot.....I can barely get to the fill cap.

I still dont understand WHY on Gods earth they would omit the stick.

Ok, the ads say "Lifetime tranny fluid"...then they go on to say that it will last 100k miles.....then they say "* and say refer to owners manual for sever service guidelines...well, since it is a commuting car, it is sever service.....yet they have no way to even check the fluid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable...I didnt know this when I bought it....

DZ

Originally posted by wpurple
Is the new transmissions a different casting or can you put a dipstick in one from an older one?

I think the dipsticks moved from the transmissions to the deskjobs at Ford ;)

Back